Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you have MS with a Negative Spinal Tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you have MS with a Negative Spinal Tap?

Now I am doubting my dx. of MS! My Dr. told me my Spinal tap was neg...?? I was DX with MS in '09. Using an MRI and sx. No spinal tap at the time.

But anyway he did one now it comes back neg ? But my neuro does not tell me anything except it is Neg! So what the heck does that mean? I am having doubts about every thing now!

**Edited in compliance with MSWorld Guideline #4**
    Sissy

About 10-15% of people with MS have negative/normal spinal taps. A negative spinal tap does NOT rule out MS. Mine was negative.

Since a negative spinal tap doesn't rule out MS, so there's no need for you to doubt you diagnosis based on that. A spinal tap isn't even required by the MacDonald diagnostic criteria for MS. It's just a piece of supporting information. It's helpful for diagnosis if other signs and symptoms aren't definitive and the results are positive, but not helpful if it's negative.

Look up the 2010 revised MacDonald diagnostic criteria for MS. The fastest way to diagnosis (even though it might not be actually fast) is by MRI evidence, clinical exam and symptoms, with other possibilities ruled out. Compare your diagnosis in '09 against the MacDonald criteria, not by your spinal tap.

Comment

My lp was also negative. I had it done early in my diagnosis and was part of the reason I doubted my diagnosis for years especially when things were quiet, symptom-wise. No doubt I have MS now despite the negative result. I think a positive helps confirm the diagnosis where a negative doesn't rule it out.

Comment

OK thank you both very much! Makes me feel better! I have had lots of sx's for years. I was DX'd with benign MS. Then RRMS. On Gilenya x3 yrs. But Dr. was having neg. feed back about Gilenya side effects. Like some bad cancers, etc. So he wanted to take me off of it. I had malignant Melanoma 18mo later that metastasized to my lymph nodes and I went to stage 4.

My prognosis was 2yrs but I beat that. Then came diabetes and then MS. So here I stand 23yrs later. Stopped Gilenya 2 wks ago. Then last week, I broke out with bad case of shingles.
        Sissy

Comment

Wow. You've had a lot to deal with. Take care.

Comment

Well this is it! I think the Shingles is going to be my undoing! Between the pain and the cog-fog I'm ready to pull the pin on this boat!!

I can't get my head cleared...Is it normal to "feel" your brain? The weight of it? Plus dizzy? REALLY is this cog-fog? It's hard to even write this because if I close my eyes for a second I feel like I am drifting?? Does anyone else do this?
            Sissy

Comment

Originally posted by Sissy View Post
              My prognosis was 2yrs but I beat that. Then came diabetes and then MS. So here I stand 23yrs later. Stopped Gilenya 2 wks ago. Then last week, I broke out with bad case of shingles.
              Dang Sissy....... Almost my history; Diabetes, then cancer w/prognosis of 10% chance of surviving 12 months, (that was in '82 & I'm still KICKING) then Dx with "long standing RRMS", had documented MS Sx way back in the late 60s! (Navy) and yep, ya gessed it SHINGLES as well.

You sure we are NOT related?

GOMER (dang this flakey editor)

Comment

OMGoodness sissy, I am so sorry for how much you've had to deal with and now shingles. I so hope you get better soon. Just wanted you to know I also had a neg. lp.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Sorry I dropped the ball here actually it was the PC. Half the time I can't get on line. Or I feel so stinking bad I can't finish what I started before I fall asleep. But I so appreciate all your help. I just had my second round of shots in my back ( thoracic area) to try and block the pain from the shingles. Didn't work ...

I got a call from UT in Dallas a referral from my "was" Dr. But it like I told him its a long way from Springtown TX to Dallas TX. How am I supposed to manage that? Plus staying in a motel while they do tests "again". I feel like I have been having a flare but with the pain and blood sugars being off the wall with these injection's. The past 4 months has been a nightmare!!

My momma was only 64 when she gave up fighting. It broke my heart, she had been through cancer, Heart bi-pass, her large bowels being removed because they died as a result of the radium implants for her cervical cancer ( she beat that ?!?) Pancreatic disorder and then they found a blockage in her small bowel. She was on kidney dialysis ( which was a mistake also!) So she decided to stop the Dialysis and only lived 5 days after that..

It broke my heart, because she finally gave up !! Now I understand why! She was tired! Miss diagnosed. She was a Military wife and mother for 30+ years.
                  Sissy

Comment

Originally posted by Sissy View Post
                    Sorry I dropped the ball here actually it was the PC. Half the time I can't get on line. Or I feel so stinking bad I can't finish what I started before I fall asleep. But I so appreciate all your help. I just had my second round of shots in my back ( thoracic area) to try and block the pain from the shingles. Didn't work ...

I got a call from UT in Dallas a referral from my "was" Dr. But it like I told him its a long way from Springtown TX to Dallas TX. How am I supposed to manage that? Plus staying in a motel while they do tests "again". I feel like I have been having a flare but with the pain and blood sugars being off the wall with these injection's. The past 4 months has been a nightmare!!

My momma was only 64 when she gave up fighting. It broke my heart, she had been through cancer, Heart bi-pass, her large bowels being removed because they died as a result of the radium implants for her cervical cancer ( she beat that ?!?) Pancreatic disorder and then they found a blockage in her small bowel. She was on kidney dialysis ( which was a mistake also!) So she decided to stop the Dialysis and only lived 5 days after that..

It broke my heart, because she finally gave up !! Now I understand why! She was tired! Miss diagnosed. She was a Military wife and mother for 30+ years.

I to had a negative spinal tap so didnt my sister . my sister has had ms much longer than i and she has had more spinal taps then i also and each time with her it has showed negative. Hers is now in the progressive stage and she is on the infusions once a month. So it doesnt mean like others have said you dont have ms with a negative spinal tap. I doubt my ms at times if im feeling good and dont see any new lesions and my lesions havent been in the spinal cord, or other areas but i do have them in the subcortical wm, and in the frontal lobe.

I havent optic nueritis either but i have had eye symptoms so its very easy to doubt this crazy disease when some things arent clear to us but they are more clear to the doctor. Just remember if we keep doubting then i know myself i get real confused and think its alot of different things which dont help my mentallity. Have a great day hope all is well.

Comment

Working...
                    X