Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is difficulty understanding people in loud environments cognitive dysfunction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is difficulty understanding people in loud environments cognitive dysfunction?

You know when you're in a restaurant with music, other patrons talking and a friend talking to you and all you can hear is everything at once, there isn't the ability to focus in on one sound. My hearing is fine it's just the focusing aspect that I find tough.

Is this a cognitive issue? If so, maybe I should tell my neuro in the future. I told him today that I don't have cognitive issues, oops. I also forget what I'm saying mid sentence and even forgot my brother in laws name last week. Ugh, I probably should have said yes I do have cognitive issues, right?

I think I have a fear of coming across as a hypochondriac when I show up to a drs visit with a huge list of symptoms and answer yes to too many questions.

cognitive issues continued

I too have alot of cognitive issues. I will forget things ,trouble with speech, such as cant find right words to say. My thought process is off, i will also say stuff wrong.

I too will not be able to focus well at all.Thats one of the reasons imout of work is because multi tasking is hard for me. EXAMPLE: I will be cleaning my house and i will forget i started something and move onto something else and not finish the other stuff . Also when i was working or even at home people talk to me and when more then 1 person talks to me at one time i cant focus on 1 person and it frustrates me to no end.

Another example is when some one will ask me to drop what im doing just to do something else, I CAN NOT DO THAT AT ALL, My attention span and multi tasking is bad.

When people interrupt me from talking which is alot i can not think of what i wanted to say. So pretty much my concentration is bad also. My family is really great at interrupting me all the time. I have told them to let me finish my thoughts first but they dont listen.

So i would suggest Catlover 80 to let your nuero know ,because mine knows and yes it is i believe a cognitive issues but you should ask him or her first though to be sure. I have lesions in subcortical white matter and deep white matter and frontal lobes.

I do not know where yours are at but if you know where they are then you can look up info on symptoms for where lesions are located. I did and the frontal lobes are involved in cognition, and personality,planning, and more , so read upon it .

I go on the ms society website because thats where my nuero said to go if i want to get info on it.

Wish you the best of luck and i will pray for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Catlover80 View Post
      You know when you're in a restaurant with music, other patrons talking and a friend talking to you and all you can hear is everything at once, there isn't the ability to focus in on one sound. My hearing is fine it's just the focusing aspect that I find tough.

Is this a cognitive issue? If so, maybe I should tell my neuro in the future. I told him today that I don't have cognitive issues, oops. I also forget what I'm saying mid sentence and even forgot my brother in laws name last week. Ugh, I probably should have said yes I do have cognitive issues, right?

I think I have a fear of coming across as a hypochondriac when I show up to a drs visit with a huge list of symptoms and answer yes to too many questions.
      Yeah I definitely experiance that as well. I find fans the worst, at my local tire shop they have a big exhaust fan right over the counter and I can never hear a word they are saying to me. Like you I have good hearing, it is a focus issue which must mean it is a cog issue.

Doctors seem to have a look they always give me when I'm listing symptoms, it is like a doubtful look! So yeah I get where your coming from.

Comment

Well, I do have a hearing problem. A tumor in my left ear has taken at least 50% of my hearing.

But even before that, loud and/or busy places are impossible for me. Makes me tired and I just shut down. I can't keep a conversation going ... pulling words out.

Right now I am having trouble with stringing this post toget her and I'm home, in a quiet atmosphere drinking a cup of coffee. Lol

Yeah, cog problems suck and can feel embarrassing sometimes.
        Karen

Comment

nothing wrong with honesty

IMO honesty is the best policy, even if it is late.

If it were me. I would call my neuro's office and let them know exactly the way that you explained it.

I would say that "I have trouble understanding in loud environments and I also forget what I'm saying mid sentence and even forgot my brother in laws name last week. I don't know if this is cognitive issues, but, wanted to mention this since I thought of it."

They should edit of add to you office visit note.

Because if you are like me, I will not remember by the next visit.
          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

and

I forgot to add, this places whether it is a cognitive dysfunction in their hands and not yours.
            God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

I also have difficulty in crowded places. I can't follow conversations and start to feel confused. This makes me shutdown some too. I try to stick to talking to the person next to me and just focus on this conversation. I still lose track of the conversation even doing this. I do have some left sided hearing loss from MS. So this doesn't help things.
              If it becomes too confusing for me it affects my balance too. I used to be able to keep up with all this. Stinks what MS takes from us.

Comment

I have a lot of problems with cognition and I find I am constantly having to get people to repeat what they say to me. I hear their voices but I don't know what they have said. I am not sure if I can't physically hear them properly or I don't comprehend what has been said to me. I find this happens a lot in a busy environment where there are lots of distractions like background noise or other conversations. Never had this problem until last few months. Another annoyance.

Comment

hearing aid

i have talked with people who deal with this issue, as i do. i've been told that getting hearing aids can help a lot. personally, i shy away from yet another adaptive device, but it might be in my future. as i understand this, it is a hearing issue, not necessarily an ms issue.
                  life is uncertain,
                  eat dessert first!

Comment

Working...
                  X