Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facial recognition issues

Just wondering how common this is-
    I see people, my brain registers as the face being familiar and for the life of me, I canīt remember who the person is- not just the name - but literally how this person fits into the web of my life. This has happened now with a neighbor- didnīt even realize he was my neighbor, a colleague and students. I have also forgotten the names of students and colleagues- an office mate. Does this get worse over time?

I've had this. Still not normal, but now much improved from the worst of it.

Comment

I have experienced this in the past, not as much now. In my case I did get better at recognizing faces, not nececarily names tho.

When I first experienced this I called my eye doc, concerned about eye disease. Since I was negative for macular edema, he thought my MS was the problem.

I would recommend calling MS neuro and let him/her know.

Comment

My Neuro psych evaluation for facial recognition was over the top, actually improved the 'score' of my overall assessment. My first Neuro psych was 12yrs ago, the 2nd about 9yrs ago.

Recently, on and (more often) off, there are times when I'm at a total loss as to who the very familiar acting and very friendly individual is. I'm aware that I know the individual, in some 'primative', distant part of my brain.

Within 10-15 minutes, after the person is offended or senses something is amiss in my reaction to them, things begin to come together for me in terms of recognizition. Usually too late to make up for the awarkness that resulted.

Comment

That describes it very well.

Comment

I have major issues with facial recognition. Very similar to what you've described Temagami. People at church, work, you name it. It's a huge problem for me.

Comment

I haven't posted for a while, and just read this and had to reply.

I read somewhere recently that Brad Pitt has a disorder where he cannot remember faces (I cannot recall the name they gave the disorder). In the article it said it's very frustrating to him since people think he 'disses' them on purpose.
              Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Face blindness ... and I have been having trouble with that as well. September was awful.

Comment

Do you know a ton of people? My non MS husband has this issue BIG TIME!!! At first, I thought he was incredibly rude for not introducing me to people we bump into. Then he told me he has not idea who these people are!

Especially if you see them "out of context", such as running into a parent of a team member one of his sons play with in a grocery store.

16 years later, I figured out that if he doesn't introduce me, I'll introduce myself, get the name of the person, triggers DH's memory!

It may not be an MS thing.

Jen
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Working...
                  X