speech/cognitive impairment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speech/cognitive impairment

although some of the threads seem similar to this issue, I wanted to make sure i was on the right track. My daughter has been recently diagnosed with MS, and she has begun to experience the short term inability to recall words, even going as far as to be virtually unable to hold a complex conversation for several minutes. there does not seem to be a trigger or pattern that we can observe, and although there is a higher frequency of these events during stressful moments, they also occur during completely stress free periods. anyone any experience with this? any successful methods of coping? her doctor is not useful, so far...thanks for any help you can offer. peace

I break this down to three stimuli that cause the same symptoms in me.

1. Fatigue. If I am tired, my mind turns off.

2. Over stimulation... ie too many conversations going on at once, or lights and sound being over-bearing to you situation.

3. STRESS. This seems to cause the most problems with me. I know how to fix a problem, but the stress stops me from thinking through the situation clearly.

It is very hard to limit these three in every-day life.

all three make me feel like a vegetable.

Comment

To be honest, I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
      If I have to stand up for too long, and I have to talk at the same time, I find it very, very hard to complete a sentence without "losing" a word.
      It's trying to do two things at once. The main thing my brain is thinking about is not falling over, to which finding a word takes a back seat.

Comment

That's sad, I'm sorry for this diagnosis.

How old is your daughter? What symptoms brought her to receive MS diagnosis? Lastly, is she being put on a med?

Jen
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I´ve gotten "good" at saying, "What´s the word I´m looking for?" It means... and then I thank the other person when he/she provides the word. Sigh.

Comment

thanks all for your replies and suggestions, sorry for the delay in my response, but I don't come here often . Cat Mom, my daughter is 28, she was diagnosed about a year ago, tried copaxane (sp?) for a bit, now is on Interferon, and has a suite of symptoms, but of course cognitive impairment, especially when it comes to speech, is the most troubling psychologically. It even came up in a job interview, where it may have impacted her interview... Temagami, that's a useful suggestion which I will pass on to her. Peace

Comment

That's my struggle too....

Cognitive issues is a big problem for me and along with optic neuritis, led to my diagnosis in 2004. I continue to work full time as a social worker and my inability to recall and stay focus is so hard at times. My son is starting high school next year and I am hoping I can continue to work until he graduates and start college. I'm 45, it's sad your daughter was diagnosed so young. I do hope for best for family.

Comment

Working...
              X