Episodes of hysterical laughter, don't think its PBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episodes of hysterical laughter, don't think its PBA

So back in December I watched a video that was stupid-funny and I couldn't stop laughing for like 10 minutes. This kept happening, I'd find anything slightly funny hysterical. I'd even think things and laugh uncontrollably. It takes me a few minutes to try to explain what I'm laughing at. 'try' because I am laughing at just having to think about explaining the thing I'm laughing at.

I looked in to it and PBA came up as a possibility. Laughter is one of them (glad its not crying for me) but that happens randomly. I need a trigger.

And in late December I was at my worst ever as far as MS symptoms go as well as this uncontrollable laughing and finding things that would just make you smirk hilarious. I'd laugh so hard you'd think I was gasping for air.

But as I got better (remission I assume) this happened less. I'm in remission right now and like all my MS symptoms its still here, just less.

So what could this be? Doesn't seem to fit PBA but is definitely related to MS. Should I ask my neuro or...?
    You can tell by my signature I find lots of things really funny. I'm actually the person who could type 'lol' and literally mean it.

It's a blessing and a curse I guess. And is fabuuuuuuu
    Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
    Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Hi chowda! It does sound like pba to me. I have the opposite problem. I find myself crying over the smallest things. I knew I needed to mention it to my neuro when I was crying when I heard the american national anthem at a hockey game. I'm canadian and was really embarrassed . My neuro told me that anything remotely sad could bring on an exaggerated episode of crying. There are drugs you can take. I have chosen not to just yet. My family is getting used to it. Have you heard the expression "laughing turns to crying"? Well we all laugh when I'm done crying. It a weird symptom isn't it! Let's hope yours sticks to laughing.:

Comment

Oh my, thanks for the insight. I though PBA happened with no trigger only. Sometimes when I watch a movie I choke up at dramatic, sad scenes. No crying but this is all new to me as well.

I just figured this was all MS directly psychological change since it remits/relapses along with everything else.
      Is totally a double edged sword. When I'm at my worst my laughing is also at its 'worst'. Now I know to bring it up to my neuro not seek a therapist. I gotta learn more about the psychological symptoms/side effects.

Also, hockey? Canada vs. US? We won now they HAVE TO KEEP BIEBER!

Comment

Hi Chowda,

Here is a link that might help you better understand PBA: http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PBA

It provides a 7 question scale to help you determine if you should talk to your doctor along with a video that explains Pseudobulbar Affect. Hope you find this helpful!

Good luck,
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

All that was really informative. Thanks!

Since that was on a stroke site they didn't cover the MS side.
          As I mentioned, my episodes of hysterical laughter are more severe and frequent in line with my relapses. And also reflect remission (or remittance? Don't know proper terminology).

That is normal/expected with MS PBA or no? Or does it apply same/differently for most?

I'll bring this up to my neuro regardless, just would appreciate any knowledge anyone can share.
          Thanks

Comment

Chowda - perhaps this slide show will explain how it pertains to MS - http://www.healthline.com/health-sli...le-sclerosis#1

It says that about 10% of people with MS have PBA, according to the NMSS.
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Oh my goodness. I laughed for a good 15 minutes the other night while getting ready for bed. It was just a little something that set me off. Tears running down my face and everything.

It is one of my few idiosyncrasies that I enjoy.

Comment

You know how I mentioned I choke up at movies. Like 20 minutes ago I was listening to a song I really like. Its trance and very soothing. The only lyrics are a woman's voice singing and it is so nice. Its just one line repeated: "to calm me down" and I almost broke down and cried.

If this to is potentially PBA. WHAT'S HAPPENIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING haha

Song is Alpha 9 - Bliss (Club Mix)
                I know if you read this you saw 'trance' and 'club mix' you might assume its al WUBWUBWUB. Its not at all. To me its a beautiful and therapeutic track. I highly recommend!

Comment

On thinking about this, when I do get the giggles it's hard for me to stop.

Also I get choked up a lot more easily. Not full on crying but almost tearing up. Stupid commercials and songs mostly too.

Both are kind of embarassing!

Comment

That is a good track Chowdah-- I really like "Turn it Around" by 4 Strings (lots of great remixes) It is so empowering and transportive mentally I also have emotional, er, lapses- usually moved to tears at drop of a hat, and I used to be bomb proof/hurricane proof. I would prefer laughter, but I am over the embarrassment factor at this point.
                    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Well the remission I'm in hast lasted 3 weeks now. That's 19 days longer than the first one! No more uncontrollable laughing :\ Just controllable everythings-funny

I like that track! I'll check out some remixes. Good video too.
                      We should make an uplifting vocal trance playlist for MSWers. It would be you... me.... that's it probably haha

Comment

Chowda:

First --I beg you and Canada, please take the "Bibber" back.

Second--I have been experiencing the PBA (along with PMS, pre-meno, PMDD, etc etc) and my co-workers think I'm losing what little I have left. It is really quite funny, the laughter turns into tears, and if I'm really lucky, a little gas escapes with the laughter....and that gets them laughing. So, it's all good (I guess). I'm 48. I'd say it happens a couple of times a month....as well as at home (I live alone with my furball cats)--but the cats don't laugh with me, they just give me that look (only other cat people would know what that means).

When it does happen, I am exhausted, in a way that used to feel like a great release....and where I work (Domestic Violence division, 25+ years), we need that kind of release....or at least I do.

God bless, laugh and let it out!
                        Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

Just wanted to share, it happened again.....was in my front yard turning on the hose attachment--which my son did not tighten appropriately when he last used the hose--and water sprayed all over me. My neighbor's kids were in their yard and watched me to see my reaction for about 15 seconds.....and I burst into hysterical laughter. This got them going, and it was quite cute as they are 5 years old....then I went into the house because sure enough, the laughter turned into tears and I had to lie down and take a nap.
                          Rule of Feline Frustration: When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly content and adorable, you will suddenly have to go to the bathroom.

Comment

I thought it was gone and yesterday I was telling my mom a story that was kind of funny but had so much trouble telling it because I couldn't not laugh at every word.
                            Later that evening I looked at my avatar on here and laughed quite a bit. I did choose it when this was at its worst... But its an sx that's not that bad I guess.

Its weird, I'm in my first remission and like everything else its still there, just less. My neuro said I probably have a lesion where my emotions are controlled. I guess its remyelinizing-tron-3000 (I like that word)

Comment

a very helpful link

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                              Hi Chowda,

Here is a link that might help you better understand PBA: http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=PBA

It provides a 7 question scale to help you determine if you should talk to your doctor along with a video that explains Pseudobulbar Affect. Hope you find this helpful!

Good luck,

link is very helpful, so thank you much! It also helps in explaining many things with my "emotional instability," sounds ridiculous to phrase it that way, but, how else do you explain it.
                              multiple sclerosis is oh so much fun … Not!

Comment

Working...
                              X