depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

depression

i have MS for several years and have been taken Cymbalta and it has taken my care free life away besides the fact of MS. I am so quiet and do not have alot to say even with people around. Not sure what to do???

I am on Zoloft and it is really mild, but works very well. I was on a different drug before, Wellbutrin I think, and I hated it. The side effects were too severe for me, but I really have not noticed anything while on Zoloft. I was suffering more from anxiety about things, plus postpartum depression, and it is so much better now. I still worry about things, but I do not dwell on them the way that I used to. I can rationalize my fears and not freak out about them as much.
    Busy mom of 3 little red heads!!!
    Diagnosed RRMS - May 2005

Comment

I second the zoloft suggestion. It's worked wonders for my depression, I was on pristiq before it and that had some pretty wild side effects that I just couldn't handle. zoloft is indeed much milder in my opinion as well. Good luck
      I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

You dont have to feel that way. Depression and anxiety are serious, and people often need help battling them. I now regret not asking for help sooner.

Rest assured that that other people have and do felt/feel the way you do. There is help out there...

Comment

I started 25mg of Zoloft a week ago, an the difference is incredible. I feel like myself (pre-MS) moodwise again!

I'd never had depression in the past, didn't think I had a problem, but could hardly face my day anymore. I was withdrawing from my family and friends, and was so apathetic. I was running out of things to say to my friends, too.

Meds aren't the answer to all depression, of course, but it is definitely worth a chat with your doctor to see if meds/counseling could help you out.

You deserve to feel as well as you can.

Comment

you're obviously not on the right meds.have you considered a psychiatrist?they are there to help pinpoint the type of depression you have and get your meds right
            I think its a smart move on your part to see one
            just a thought
            Blessed be
            Diane

Comment

I have to agree with graybird. I tried "counseling" and rx's from nurse practitioners but until I went to a psychiatrist and he got my meds straight I was a mess.

It is worth a try.
              Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

I was diagnosed bipolar II in 2001 (with predominant depression). My MS diagnosis came in 2008. I also have fibromyalgia. Due to the fibro, the current anti depressant that I'm on is Cymbalta - 90 mgs (among other things). What doseage of Cymbalta are you on? I'm currently both in counseling and seeing a psychiatrist, because I have a panic/anxiety disorder as well, and some other things that happened when I was a kid.

My mood is almost always depressed, but it took a downward turn when the MS hit. Especially when I started reading up about it, because I didn't know anything about it. If it weren't for meds and counseling, I wouldn't have gotten out of the deep deep hole I was in.

I was in a similar hole well, most of the time. I've had four nervous breakdowns (although none required hospitalization, other than day hospital), and one lost me my job because I couldn't keep my work up, couldn't concentrate, etc. But right now, I'm depressed, but stable. I'm getting ready to see a new psychiatrist, one that's in my town rather than 45 minutes away, and one that I can get into quickly when I have a problem.

Today I'm considered depressed but stable, evidently.
                Diagnosis: May, 2008
                Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Lexapro and now...Wellbutrin

We MSers often get the "double-whammy": depression is common with us and also the interferons have a side effect of depression.

I got so fed up with the anxiety, the bleakness, the "dark grayness" and the constant weepies, (and so much more). Lexapro REALLY helped and just made the days and life more tolerable. However, the side effects really took a toll in the bedroom excitement department. Weaned myself off (after a discussion with the neuro). Things became better with the libido, but damn, the depression and weepies and stuff came back enought to cancel out the benefit.

My neuro suggested Wellbutrin XR, which doens't have the sexual side effects AND it really addresses the anxiety and depression. Most days, I'm pretty darn chipper!

Talk to your neuro or talk to your psychiatrist (being from the mental health field, I recommend talking to your neuro who likely knows the MS better).

Blessings and brighter days,
                  Biscuit
                  Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
                  Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Comment

I was taking cymbalta for 9 months and I was always feeling shaky, having bad dreams, and dreading my day. Thing was that it worked awesome for the pain.

My husband went on it for back pain, took it for 3 days and stopped because he was shaking. I thought, is this whats happening to me? So I stopped it, and 2 weeks later my husband looked at me with tears in his eyes and said "you're talking like yourself again".

Ask the dr for something else and be aware all those drugs work differently on different people. You can find the one that works for you. Good luck

Comment

DEPRESSION AND PAIN

I AM SO DEPRESSED . I HAVE BEEN ON CYMBALTA AN LYRICA , ABILIFY . I HAVE SEVERE FIBROMYALGIA ,POSSIBLE MS AND RA . SO I AM ALSO ON OPANA ER (MORPHINE) . THE CYMBALTA WORKED FOR ALONG TIME BUT NOT ANYMORE AND I DNT KNOW WHY . I DO ALSO HAVE MUCH STRESS IN MY LIFE SO THAT DSNT HELP EITHER. I AM NOT SLEEPING WELL EITHER . I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH THIS FOR 18 YRS AND I AM SO DONE . I KNOW THINGS COULD BE WORSE BUT MY PAIN IS OVERBEARING . I WILL TELL MY DOC SOON AND PRAY HE HAS A BETTER PLAN . DOES IT EVER GET BETTER ???????

Comment

Originally posted by garnet68 View Post
                        I AM SO DEPRESSED . I HAVE BEEN ON CYMBALTA AN LYRICA , ABILIFY . I HAVE SEVERE FIBROMYALGIA ,POSSIBLE MS AND RA . SO I AM ALSO ON OPANA ER (MORPHINE) . THE CYMBALTA WORKED FOR ALONG TIME BUT NOT ANYMORE AND I DNT KNOW WHY . I DO ALSO HAVE MUCH STRESS IN MY LIFE SO THAT DSNT HELP EITHER. I AM NOT SLEEPING WELL EITHER . I HAVE BEEN GOING THROUGH THIS FOR 18 YRS AND I AM SO DONE . I KNOW THINGS COULD BE WORSE BUT MY PAIN IS OVERBEARING . I WILL TELL MY DOC SOON AND PRAY HE HAS A BETTER PLAN . DOES IT EVER GET BETTER ???????
                        You are not alone. I was just hospitalized because I got the flu and I was dehydrated.

I've been on Opana for 5 months. I can't bear antidepressants.

The hospital didn't have any Opana so when the nurse asked me my pain level, I had to tell him the truth. He said you can have Dilaudid. I said OK and the shot made me feel better.

The next day, i feel asleep and woke up with a pain in my stomach so bad. I thought my stomach had burst. I knew i was constipated so i kept trying to go to the bathroom. The nurse said, "you are in too much pain. We are going to have to give you something for the pain."

i shook my head and said, "no, I just have to go to the bathroom." Somehow, I knew I was going through withdrawals from the Opana but was prepared to stick it out. Now I know what a 10 feels like. They gave me 10mg of Dilaudid but I was still doubled over in pain. The night nurse can on and gave me another 2mg of D. It finally worked.

Then they treated my constipation but the spasms in my stomach continued. I started asking for the dilaudid every 4 hours.

Then, after a few days, the nurses started looking at me funny. One finally called the doctor and said I keep taking pain meds and I'm not eating. [I was on a clear liquid diet. There was nothing to eat.]

Then she came back and said the doctor is "tapering" the Dilaudid. The word "taper" was like a giant knife stabbed in my heart. I was getting the 'addict treatment.'

The doctor came in to see me and I could see the writing on the wall.

The devastation was unbearable. If you are taking narcotics you are guilty without a chance to prove you are innocent. I have been so vigilant about taking the medications as they are proscribed and not abusing them.

The next day a psychiatrist came in. He said the doctor thinks I should be on antidepressants. I told him "no way".

I wasn't depressed before, but now I'm beyond depressed. I'm so afraid they are going to take me off the pain medications that have been working so well.

Sorry this is so long. Your post hit a nerve. I hope you can find a solution for your pain. Will they let you increase your Opana? It goes up to 40mg. There is always methadone.

Comment

that is how i feel most of the time.. very antisocial!! But Im on effexor XR , trazodone for insomnia,and hydrozine for anxiety. I think all the meds put together is making me like a zombie. I would love to get off the trazodone,and switch to a lower form of sleep aide,but as it is now,im having problems getting to sleep on the trazodone. I would definitely ask you dr for a med change,not all meds are the same for everyone...
                          RRMS-2007-2012
                          SPMS-2012
                          Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
                          currently on Rebif

Comment

I have been on Lexapro for many years. I think I may have to change cause I am feeling weepy again, but we will see.

I know what you mean. I feel depressed so much anymore and I just do not want to do anything. I do not even go out sometimes to the store and it is about 1/4 of a mile from me.

I was so good last week, got out to our local fair and had a great time. I am fine if I am out, but unless someone else suggests it, I cannot bring myself to do anything. I try so hard to keep up my spirits but many times it just does not work. Dh ha been asking me lately what is wrong and I have no answer for him. He, more than anyone, sees it.

I do have an appt. with a physiciatrist in Sept. Hopefully, she will help me. If not, I figure, it is time when someone has to listen to me cause they are getting paid.

Hope things get better for you. This up and down and crying for no reason has to stop . (for both of us)

JudySz

Comment

You posted this awhile ago, but I hope you see my reply.

I had this happen to me on cymbalta, too!

Dr gave it to me for pain, said it was great for pain, but not great for depression, he was right.

The pain in my feet went completely away, but I felt shaky all the time, dreaded getting up in the morning and had bad dreams.

2 weeks after I went off of it, my husband looked at me with tears in his eyes, and said "you're talking like yourself again". I felt like I wasnt talking at all.

Go off of it, and try the zoloft. Best of luck to you

Comment

Working...
                              X