Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tested for inflammatory markers for muscle spasms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tested for inflammatory markers for muscle spasms?

Hello. I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I feel so completely lost right now. For the past few months, when I get up from sitting, my low back tightens so much it pushes my hips forward until I walk it off. PCP sent me to PT, but when she did ultrasound or anything that pushes on those muscles, it worsens.

So back to PCP today, who drew blood for 'inflammatory markers' which immediately caused me panic and I told him I've heard that those types of things are sometimes elevated in MS. Ugh, maybe I should have called my neuro because maybe this is spasticity or something? Can that be in low back?

These days, it's so difficult to distinguish a MS issue from random other issues. Thank you for any insight.

Hi Sonya!

Originally posted by SonyaK View Post
    Ugh, maybe I should have called my neuro because maybe this is spasticity or something? Can that be in low back?
    Spasticity can affect the lower back.

This info is from the MS Trust website:

"Any muscle can be affected but leg spasms and spasticity affecting the arms, legs or the trunk and back are most common."

"Spasms affecting the trunk - the back or trunk can arch off a bed or away from the back of a chair

Spasticity and spasms | MS Trust

In any case, let us know what your Inflammatory Markers test showed.

Thanks for sharing Sonya!

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you for the reply! I just heard back on some of the blood work (not all back yet). So far, all reg blood work looks good except low vitamin D still. Got a prescription for 50,000 IUs once a week. I guess the 1000 iu daily wasn't enough. RA factor neg. Slightly elevated ESR, 23 on 0-20 scale, she said not concerned. They are still waiting on two more, I think. I will post here after those come in. Probably have to get an MRI on my lumbar back to check if my spinal stenosis has worsened. After reading your reply, I will def talk to my neuro and pcp about the trunk spasticity. Thank you again for this very helpful info!

Comment

Okay, just got my last results. One was some kind of autoimmune spine thing that was negative. The ANA was positive though at 1.32, so now I have to see a rheumatologist? I'm so bummed. I have 0 symptoms for Lupus, so I don't know...
        My pcp has mentioned fibromyalgia in the past, but I'm not sure how they'd ever be able to differentiate those symptoms from my MS stuff. I guess I'll see what my neuro can add when I see her next. Thank you again for your reply.

Comment

Hello Sonya!

Thanks for the update.

The ANA was positive though at 1.32, so now I have to see a rheumatologist? I'm so bummed. I have 0 symptoms for Lupus, so I don't know...

Yes, that is a bummer. Hopefully everything is ok.

Multiple doctor appointments can be so draining and stressful too.

My pcp has mentioned fibromyalgia in the past, but I'm not sure how they'd ever be able to differentiate those symptoms from my MS stuff. I guess I'll see what my neuro can add when I see her next.

I think in specific areas of the body, painful trigger points are suggestive of Fibro.

Good luck at your appointments, Sonya. Keep us posted with what you find out.

Thank you!

~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply. From what I've now read, elevated ANA is mostly used when someone has symptoms to help confirm a diagnosis. I did find a few things while looking into this.

One is from MS Focus magazine, An antinuclear antibody (ANA) test can help to confirm a lupus diagnosis, but other diseases, including MS, can also produce positive ANA results." and from a journal of medicine, "Of women over 40 years of age, 31% were ANA-positive." And "mild positive ANA is common among patients with MS." This is one of the frustrating things about MS. Over the 20+ years, I've had so many unnecessary tests and anxiety for things that were just MS issues in the end.

As to your first reply about spasticity affecting the lower back, yesterday, my PT doc said she thinks that's my problem because she can't get the muscles to relax and she said that happens with MS. The nerves tell the muscles what to do and that's what makes spasticity such a challenge.

I really do appreciate your replies. I will keep you posted. Thank you.
            Last edited by KoKo; 08-28-2021, 08:39 PM. Reason: Line spacing

Comment

One is from MS Focus magazine, An antinuclear antibody (ANA) test can help to confirm a lupus diagnosis, but other diseases, including MS, can also produce positive ANA results." and from a journal of medicine, "Of women over 40 years of age, 31% were ANA-positive." And "mild positive ANA is common among patients with MS." This is one of the frustrating things about MS. Over the 20+ years, I've had so many unnecessary tests and anxiety for things that were just MS issues in the end.
              Interesting info about ANA. Thanks Sonya!

As to your first reply about spasticity affecting the lower back, yesterday, my PT doc said she thinks that's my problem because she can't get the muscles to relax and she said that happens with MS. The nerves tell the muscles what to do and that's what makes spasticity such a challenge.
              I wouldn't be surprised if it is spasticity that you are dealing with.

Comment

Working...
              X