Medication for numbness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medication for numbness

I don't think there is but just checking...is there a medication to help with neuropathy/numbness in the fingers?

Thanks...

Unfortunately, no.

Unless you are having a flare, then corticosteroids might help.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Shawshank View Post
      I don't think there is but just checking...is there a medication to help with neuropathy/numbness in the fingers?

Thanks...
      I'm sorry that you are experiencing pain and numbness in your fingers. There may be help for both.

Most neurologists will start you on either gabapentin or pregabalin to reduce or eliminate your symptoms. If neither work they might try amitriptyline or niacin.

I hope that helps and I wish you well.

Comment

I have tried many of the medications, and nothing has helped me. Having lived with this for many years now, I find that it's very annoying and limiting for me.

Sorry you are experiencing this. I hope you can find something that works for you.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

For numbness alone, in my case, the only thing that helped was steroids.

Numbness is often accompanied by or combined with other changes in sensation, such as a pins-and-needles feeling or burning. (Although burning does not in any way feel numb to me!)

I've tried several medications from Neurontin, Cymbalta, Doxepin, and Lyrica. For me, Lyrica helps some with tingling. (In my case, Neurontin works well for dyasthetic itching). Haven't had much luck with any of them for numbness or burning, though. I tried Doxepin for burning, but had a bad reaction to it, which makes me leary to try anything else for it.

Last week I spilled hot coffee on myself and the carpeting when my fingers suddenly went numb and I lost grip of my cup. I also had the pins and needles sensation with it. Thankfully, it went away a few hours later and didn't hurt myself. (This time )

It's not always easy, but I've learned to try to ignore it. If I stop to think about it, I have numbness, tingling, or burning somewhere on my body all the time. Just my experience.

It takes time to find medication(s) and dosages that might help. Best of luck.

Here's some more information about numbness:

Numbness

A very common symptom of MS is numbness, often in the limbs or across the body in a band-like fashion. Numbness is divided into four categories

• Paresthesia – feelings of pins and needles, tingling, buzzing, or crawling sensation

• Dysesthesia – a burning sensation along a nerve; changes in perceptions of touch or pressure; nonpainful contact becomes painful

• Hyperpathia – increased sensitivity to pain

• Anesthesia – complete loss of any sensation, including touch, pain, or temperature

The first three types of numbness – paresthesia, dysesthesia, and hyperpathia – are all frequently seen at various times and to various degrees in people with MS. The fourth type, anesthesia, is rarely experienced by someone with MS.

Sensory symptoms tend to come and go for most people and usually carry a good prognosis for not becoming permanent. Often, the change in sensation occurs only along a patch of skin or in specific areas, such as one or both hands, arms, or legs. For someone not yet diagnosed with MS, numbness is not necessarily indicative of the disease. A number of conditions can cause similar symptoms of numbness. Among others, these include diabetes, carpal tunnel syndrome, toothache, back and neck problems, vitamin deficiencies, anemia, and even tight clothing.

Treatments for Numbness

When caused by MS, numbness is typically harmless, often producing little or no pain. Medications are not typically prescribed for this condition, unless it becomes painful or dysesthetic (pain when skin is touched). According to some individuals with MS, thinking too much about this symptom can actually increase the sensation of numbness, so most try to ignore this symptom.

Should medication be prescribed, steroids (such as cortisone) may improve the condition by reducing inflammation. This can be particularly helpful if lack of sensitivity has impaired functioning to a point where activities are affected. In general, however, steroids are best avoided whenever possible in order to reserve their use for a more serious medical need.

Niacin (one of the B complex vitamins) sometimes assists with reducing numbness. Neurontin® (gabapentin), Lyrica® (pregabalin), Dilantin® (phenytoin), and Tegretol® (carbamazepine) are antiseizure drugs which may be prescribed for controlling painful burning or electric shock-like sensations. Other modern anticonvulsants may also be prescribed. Elavil® (amitriptyline) is a tranquilizer and antidepressant that may be effective in reducing numbness. Its list of side effects includes drowsiness; therefore, this medication should only be taken when able to rest or at night before going to bed. Other antidepressants, such as Pamelor® (nortriptyline) or Tofranil® (imipramine), may also be tried.

Despite the drugs mentioned, medications are rarely prescribed for this condition alone, unless the sensory symptoms are painful or dysesthetic. As with all MS symptoms, a doctor should be contacted about any numbness experienced. This is to not only confirm that the numbness is attributable to MS, but also to see if he or she may want to recommend further investigation or treatment.

https://mymsaa.org/ms-information/symptoms/numbness/

There are no medications to relieve numbness. Fortunately, most instances of numbness are not disabling, and tend to come and go. In some cases of a new onset of severe numbness, associated with a MS relapse, your healthcare provider may prescribe a brief course of corticosteroids to accelerate recovery.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sy...ptoms/Numbness
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all for your feedback. I've had MS for 23 years but the numbness has gradually worsened and typing has become increasingly problematic. I use gabapentin for pain. I'll discuss with my neuro if it (or anything else) is appropriate for numbness too. Many thanks...

Comment

Definitely talk to your neurologist to see if the quality of your life can be improved.

In your shoes, I would probably ask my neurologist about a gabapentin dose increase to see if that helps further alleviate the pain and touches the numbness. I believe the maximum dose is 3600 mg/day or four 300 mg pills three times per day.

I also know some people have successfully used medical marijuana for carpal tunnel pain and numbness. It's not legal here, but I know people that also swear by CBD oil that is legal here.

I hope you find victory over your symptoms.

Comment

Working...
              X