Spasticity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spasticity

I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but really the only symptom I have after 3 years is spasticity. Playing sports is a nightmare. Does anyone have any experience with it and is there any braces that can help to even jog a little bit?

As far as I know, the main way spasticity is treated is through meds. Baclofen and Zanaflex being the two main anti-spacticy meds.

Sometime botox is used for spasticity, and spasticity in mid back to your legs can be treated with baclofen, but baclofen that is delivered by an Intrathecal Baclofen Pump. Long title, but it's a pump implanted in the abdomen and it constantly drips the baclofen into your spine.

Stretching is good for spasticity, but the results are usually temporary. I don't think I've ever heard of braced being used except maybe to prevent a contracture, but if you had a contracture, I don't think you'd be able to jog, brace or not.

Sorry to hear your plagued by this symptom.

Comment

Playing sports is a nightmare. Does anyone have any experience with it and is there any braces that can help to even jog a little bit?
      I've had similar experience. Earlier in the year I took a trip to visit a friend, and I took her dog out to the local dog park to play with the Frisbee (the dog is much better at catching than I am!). When her dog got tired with playing this game, I tried to "jog" over to pick up the Frisbee and found that I can no longer do that. Wow - when did this start???? Instead of a jog, I now had a very "plodding" type of step, very stiff legged and heavy instead of my normal "jog". Had no idea what this was all about. I'm not able to jog like I used to, let alone try to run.

I mentioned this at my neuro appointment, my neuro explained that the location of my plaques have interrupted signals that travel to the gastrocnemius (calf) muscles. I have seen a physical therapist who gave me a series of stretching exercises that I do daily. While it has helped maintain some muscle tone, unfortunately its not been able to get me to a point where I can do anything that remotely resembles jogging/running anymore.

At my last neuro appointment I was also seen by a physiatrist for the first time. He started me out with a low (30 mg/day) dose of Baclofen since I'd been having a lot of spasticity in my calves. He also mentioned the possibility of doing some type of bracing - which I didn't want to consider (vanity!), but the more I've thought about it and if I continue to experience instability in my lower leg (right worse than left) I may talk with him further about it at my next appointment in November and will let everyone know his (and my thoughts). So far I've not seen much of a change with taking Baclofen (especially if I've had a long day) but he did say we would most likely need to "tinker" with this. Jury still out on Baclofen for me.

So yeah, running is something I just can't do anymore. While that's not ideal, I'm still able to get around walking, so I'll take that for now.

Hang in there!

Sparticle
      Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
      It's already tomorrow in Australia" - Charles Schultz

Comment

Working...
      X