Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Hug

Hi,
    I'm currently 10 wks pregnant and am experiencing an MS relapse for about a week now following a bout with the flu. What started as light pins and needles/numbess on both my feet & hands led to being numb and tingly on both sides of my body from feet to chest. The worst part of this all is what's apparently called the MS hug. A feeling that I'm consistently being squeezed around my chest/rib cage. I don't have any chest pain but when i have trouble coughing and what not as my chest feels "paralyzed". Has anyone whose experienced this offer any advise? I've had symptoms of this for 5 days now with zero relief and am getting worriers it wont go away and could be permanent. I hate being on medication while pregnant especially in the 1st trimester by I just started day 1 of a 3 day dose of solu medrol.
    Thank you in advance.

I am sorry for your troubles. Congratulations on your baby ... exciting times!

Treating MS Hugs
    Treating a MS Hug is fairly similar to treating fractured ribs.
    • Resting and avoiding any activities that cause the pain to increase.
    • You can ice or a cold compress to the inflamed area for 20 minutes, 3-4 times per day. Wrap any ice bag in a towel so you do not have direct ice to body contact that could result in skin damage.
    • Drink water and ensure proper nutrition. Muscles need water and proper nutrition to function normally.
    • Try changing physical positions (sitting upright, standing, laying down) to see if any position is more comfortable.
    • Try wearing compression clothing may reduce the pain sensation. I often wear gloves on my hands to reduce the tingling, pins & needles sensations. The same can be done around your chest to reduce the sensation of pain.
    • If the hug lasts for some duration, taking NSAIDs may reduce inflammation and provide some level of pain relief. If additional relief is necessary, your doctor may prescribe a medication to reduce spasticity, nerve pain or a relaxant for the muscles.
    • Your doctor can prescribe therapy to help with reducing MS Hugs. Most therapists, whether occupation, physical or speech, can provide a customized MS-hug treatment and prevention plan for you. The goal would be to increase the health of your intercostal muscles and improve your breathing. Never continue any exercises or stretch that causes you pain. Some of the relaxation or light exercises therapists may suggest are:
    • To gently lift your hands above your head (the surrender position during a bank robbery) and take a deep, gentile breath, inflating your lungs as much as possible. Do not go past the point of pain. Repeat this 5 times every 30 minutes. Any other activities that will help you relax are encouraged, provided they do not increase your pain (i.e. watching a comedy might be fun, but when you start to laugh too hard you might increase your pain.
    • To sit or stand with your neck and back straight. Deeply inhale, without causing additional pain and then slowly exhale. Keep your shoulders flat and concentrate on inflating your lungs. Do this 8-10 times/every hour. Alternatively, you can take a deep breath, hold it for 3-5 seconds and then fully exhale. This exercise may be easiest laying on your back, with knees bent and a pillow inserted to help support your head and/or knees.
    • To lie on your back with knees bent. Slowly rotate your knees side to side as far as you can, without causing pain. Repeat this 10 times. Alternatively, you can lay on your affected side and take deep breaths.
    • Place a foam roller under your upper back (to expand your chest), then relax and try to breathe normally. Attempt this for up to 90 seconds, provided no pain is experienced. For even a greater stretch you can lift your arms over your head.

Please consult with your doctor or therapist before starting an exercise program or attempting any exercise you are unfamiliar with.

This information was taken from this thread:
    http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?135264-Multiple-Sclerosis-Hugs-lt-gt-The-Basics

Comment

Thank you Marco!
      From your experience does this MS hug typically subside after a certain amount of time or do you find that it stays permanently? It's having me a little concerned

Comment

Only had it once for a short spell- it was NOT permanent for me. It was intense and so I get your state of worry.

Comment

Originally posted by DCat23 View Post
          Thank you Marco!
          From your experience does this MS hug typically subside after a certain amount of time or do you find that it stays permanently? It's having me a little concerned
          They are normally temporary in nature. The muscles between your ribs are in spasm and it's painful. Once they calm down the spasms will stop and the pain will subside.

Comment

Hi DCat,

Congratulations on your baby! Sorry you are having flare.

Originally posted by DCat23 View Post
            Thank you Marco!
            The hug can last minutes, days. weeks, or years. My guess is yours will subside after your flare
            Last edited by Kimba22; 03-02-2016, 01:18 AM.
            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
            X