Falling Into Everything ... A feeling of being pulled to the right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falling Into Everything ... A feeling of being pulled to the right

I have been experiencing this now for several years on/off ... it seems to happen more when I get tired/fatigued or if I'm in a flare up.

Does anyone else having that feeling of being pulled? I fall into things a lot when it hits me. I am just so thankful I fall into the wall or the counter - something that catches me before doing some real damage.

I have a positive Romberg sign, can't walk a straight line, can't balance on one leg but what exactly causes this pulling? My mri is supposedly clean along with the cervical mri ...

I am seriously wearing thin with all these symptoms and the docs not finding out what is going on. They have tested me for soooo many medical conditions and everything is coming back negative. Is there any other conditions where the common tests come back normal and need a specific blood test or other tests to confirm?

I have all the ms symptoms plus some - another doc is going to do tests for ankylosing spondylitis (AS) but this takes out some of my other symptoms but still doesn't explain the positive romberg sign or balance issues. AS also causes the MS Hug sensation which we all love so much (sarcasm), Enthesitis, spasticity - basically effecting (inflaming) ligaments, tendons, back pain/issues, painful feet, hips, shoulders, hands, wrists, etc.

Any advise would be so very helpful. Thank you in advance.
    ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Hi Brittan:
    Since you live in Maryland, I have to ask the obvious question. Have you been to Johns Hopkins and, if so, what did they say?

Comment

"leaning to the left"

Hi Brittan, I'm Maggie.

My MS first manifested as what I called "leaning to the left." I woke up in the morning and misjudged where my bedroom door was and of course bonked into it (on my left side).

I had what I called "ricochet bruises" from misjudging where everything was--it all seemed to be to the left of where it REALLY was.

I started walking with what I called "the zig-zag" because I would find myself veering to the left into oncoming pedestrians, grass, landscaping, and then I would overcorrect and consciously make myself walk to the right, and I'd overdo it and manage to have the same thing happen.

The MRI of my brain came back with a brain stem lesion and the first neurologist I ever saw said he thought that might have been the cause of the "leaning to the left" sensation.

It eventually passed--now I just have overall trouble with balance, especially when I'm fatigued and/or in pain.

I was lucky--in that my MRI gave me a diagnosis and a cause.

But honestly, when you write about the sensation of being pulled to the right--yes. I felt like there was a magnetic field pulling me to the left.

I will say--that morning that I first ricocheted off my bedroom door I googled "leaning to the left" and a number of other things that described what was happening, and I came up with MS or stroke.
      Of course at that time I didn't want to believe either of those things, but I never thought it was an anxiety disorder as I was repeatedly told.

I hope that you get some answers soon, Brittan.

Maggie

Comment

Originally posted by jreagan70 View Post
        Hi Brittan:
        Since you live in Maryland, I have to ask the obvious question. Have you been to Johns Hopkins and, if so, what did they say?
        No I haven't. I have been having symptoms for over 15 years and got tired of going to doctors with no results. All they could do was treat the symptoms and sometimes not even that so after 4 years of trying to find out - I got burnt out because it was going no where.

No the neuro is trying to find out why I have a +Romberg sign but my previous neuro tried also but still nothing yet again. I've had tests out the ying yang and nothing. MRI of brain and cervical spine nothing also. It is quite frustrating.

Due to my +Romberg sign and other tests of imbalance issues the neuro doesn't want me to drive so I need family to take me to doc appts and she is unable to take me to JH because of her health issues. I went to university of md 15 years ago but still nothing at that point.

Maybe I am just one of those cases that the ms spots are so small they don't show til I'm dead ... my kind of luck. There is a study on something like this when they did a biopsy they discovered that those who were symptomatic but did not show on mri or blood tests did actually have ms but had numerous (many, many) small lesions over the brain. This is just crazy.
        ~Brittan~ Over 15 years w/ symptoms & Recently diagnosed w/ Chiari 1 Malformation - it has a lot of similar symptoms to MS. Easy to dx by MRI. See videos CM info - how to dx via MRI: https://youtu.be/I0f9e3pU6to CM symptoms: https://youtu.be/YyF3HVgHpCs FB group: Chiari Is For Real

Comment

You spin me Right round baby, right round (round and round I go)

Originally posted by Maggie2015 View Post
          Hi Brittan, I'm Maggie.

My MS first manifested as what I called "leaning to the left." I woke up in the morning and misjudged where my bedroom door was and of course bonked into it (on my left side).

I had what I called "ricochet bruises" from misjudging where everything was--it all seemed to be to the left of where it REALLY was.

I started walking with what I called "the zig-zag" because I would find myself veering to the left into oncoming pedestrians, grass, landscaping, and then I would overcorrect and consciously make myself walk to the right, and I'd overdo it and manage to have the same thing happen.

The MRI of my brain came back with a brain stem lesion and the first neurologist I ever saw said he thought that might have been the cause of the "leaning to the left" sensation.

It eventually passed--now I just have overall trouble with balance, especially when I'm fatigued and/or in pain.

I was lucky--in that my MRI gave me a diagnosis and a cause.

But honestly, when you write about the sensation of being pulled to the right--yes. I felt like there was a magnetic field pulling me to the left.

I will say--that morning that I first ricocheted off my bedroom door I googled "leaning to the left" and a number of other things that described what was happening, and I came up with MS or stroke.
          Of course at that time I didn't want to believe either of those things, but I never thought it was an anxiety disorder as I was repeatedly told.

I hope that you get some answers soon, Brittan.

Maggie
          You were lucky that the lesion showed up - hopefully it was a quicker dx than the rest of us. I noticed I get pulled to the right more if my symptoms are flaring or like you said later in the day due to being fatigued and tired. I run into the wall, kitchen bar, everything and at times I trip over nothing or my leg decide to stop walking causing me to almost fall on my face.

I am getting a spine mri hopefully in the next few weeks (waiting for insurance to approve) and I am praying it shows a lesion or something significant for some kind of diagnosis.

If it comes back negative for lesions - that pretty much rules out everything for why I have a positive romberg sign and balance issues. Anyone else know what would cause the romberg sign - maybe my docs and I are missing something???

The doc did rule out ankylosing spondylitis so that is another one down but it still wouldn't of explained the positive romberg sign if I did come back with it.

Comment

I like the title of your post

Hi Brittan, it's Maggie. I haven't had a chance to be on the board for awhile so I just saw your post.
            I have talked to others with MS who have experienced that "magnetic field pull;" I have no idea if there are any other conditions that cause it.

As to MRIs and lesions, I get confused as to what lesions show up and why.

My brain stem lesion only showed up with the one MRI when I was diagnosed, along with lesions throughout my corpus callosum.

I continue to get MRIs once a year and I always have the lesions in my corpus callosum, but the brain stem lesion has never made another appearance. Yet I still struggle with balance and the pull to the left, just not as badly.

My last relapse--the second one after my diagnosis--I had an MRI and along with the corpus callosum lesions I had 3 new temporal lobe lesions, 2 active.

A year later I got another MRI and the temporal lobe lesions didn't show up, but the corpus callosum lesions did still did.

I don't know if this means the brain stem lesion and the temporal lobe lesions "healed." It still seems to me that there would be scar tissue there--but I haven't researched that.

I guess what I'm saying is there's something in me that is skeptical of what does and DOES NOT show up on an MRI.

And in the end, I'm lucky that there have been and are lesions so I haven't had to cope with a lack of a diagnosis or confirmation that I'm having a relapse when I have am having one.

And there's something so deeply ironic and sad that we get to a point where we WANT lesions so that we can have a diagnosis.

I hope that you're finding answers, and I think that you should be proud that you have a sense of humor about being pulled to the right (that's why I said I liked the title of your post) amidst all of what you're going through.

Maggie

Comment

Leaning to the right

Originally posted by Brittan View Post
              I have been experiencing this now for several years on/off ... it seems to happen more when I get tired/fatigued or if I'm in a flare up.

Does anyone else having that feeling of being pulled? I fall into things a lot when it hits me. I am just so thankful I fall into the wall or the counter - something that catches me before doing some real damage.

I have a positive Romberg sign, can't walk a straight line, can't balance on one leg but what exactly causes this pulling? My mri is supposedly clean along with the cervical mri ...

I am seriously wearing thin with all these symptoms and the docs not finding out what is going on. They have tested me for soooo many medical conditions and everything is coming back negative. Is there any other conditions where the common tests come back normal and need a specific blood test or other tests to confirm?

I have all the ms symptoms plus some - another doc is going to do tests for ankylosing spondylitis (AS) but this takes out some of my other symptoms but still doesn't explain the positive romberg sign or balance issues. AS also causes the MS Hug sensation which we all love so much (sarcasm), Enthesitis, spasticity - basically effecting (inflaming) ligaments, tendons, back pain/issues, painful feet, hips, shoulders, hands, wrists, etc.

Any advise would be so very helpful. Thank you in advance.
              I mean to the right, then off balance, stumble. I do this a lot. I have had minor changes in my MRI.
              I have the belt feeling around my waist too. Pain issues all over. Vision..like double vision, dry eyes. I have back issues from my previous job as a CNA. Plus a whole list of others. Refuse to do any therapies at this time, too many bad reactions.
              Your not alone.💞

Comment

Don't think I'm drunk, I just have MS

I have had MS since 2002. My dx was relatively "easy" because I didn't go to a doctor until I had achieved "bilateral ascending numbness from the bottom of my feet up to my chest". Since I hate doctors I assumed I had just pulled this or that and it would get better until I couldn't walk and it was getting harder and harder to breath. So, I went to the ER and they did all of the tests and I had the 3 things you need to have to get an MS DX; positive lumbar puncture, positive MRI, and Optic Neuritis.

Anyway, I have lesions in my spinal column and in my brain. I have balance issues and will lean to the left. I say I am "listing" like a boat. I will hit the door frame the most. It seems to happen when I am tired or hot. I will fall to the left when my eyes are closed like in the shower and I am washing my hair. Also when I am shaving my legs. I hope my shower door is sturdy enough to hold me.

I also have problems with my left eye. I have Optic Neuritis and when I am tired or hot or hungry or whatever, I tend to lose the vision in my left eye. Sometimes partially, sometimes totally. This makes me lean to the left even worse because I have no control over anything at that point.

Its scary, but I always assume I will not make it through a door without hitting it so I prepare my exit strategy before I go through. People are going to think you are strange for hitting the door anyway so why not make it dramatic so they will think you are really strange. You should see my performance when my left foot gives out and I am going to fall. It looks like a special ballet performance...but really special.

MS is hard but don't let it control your life. Make MS your ***** every day by laughing.

Comment

Working...
                X