Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye issues

Hi all,

I was having trouble with my eyes, with blurred vision and extremely red-eyes. Fit right in as part of zombie nation.

In addition to dry eyes which I take Rx for, I was having bouts of continued irritation and redness. Went to the opthalmologist and diagnosed with bacterial keratitis. He believes that the compromised immune system from Tysabri was preventing me from clearing the infection on my own.

Has anyone else experienced this when on Tysabri? Will it become a recurring infection that I get, similar to respiratory infections?

Currently using Rx drops that are antibiotic and steroid in one. Just wondering if this will become part of the journey as well. Will discuss with neuro as well.

Thanks
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Kathy- I use to get this quite often---pre-Tysabri. But, TY does make a perfect storm for infections.

I have never been able to clear an eye infection on my own and I as getting them once a year from contact wear. I changed to one-a-day contacts and no more infection. 🌷🌷🌷
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks Katie. Glad yours stopped.

It is an infection he said contact users get and is very rare in non-contact users. Nothing like your doc using the words "impressive", "interesting", and "unusual" to make one feel better!!!!

The steroid/antibiotic drops have helped tremendously. Here's hoping it doesn't return when I stop them in 2.5 weeks.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I get a very dry mouth on TY. I have had trouble with dry eyes in the past but not currently.
        LA dx MS feb 2008
        Avonex Feb 2008-May 2009, Betaseron July 2009-Oct 2011 -- Tysabri Nov 2012-2014 -- Tecfidera 2014-2015 (allergic reaction) --Copaxone 2015-2016 (could not tolerate the painful itching) -- Tysabri November 2016 - Trying CBD for pain control

Comment

I am really susseptible to viral infections on Ty. If there is a stomach virus in a 20 mile radius, I will catch it! Seriously like 3 a year and my kids are adults and away from home! Never had an eye infection though and am happy yours is getting better. They may need to just check your WBC to see where you are if it comes back.

Feel better!
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Hi ,
            Theres a thread 'dry eyes and mouth' that has some good replies you may like to read.

I have had severe dry eyes etc that i believe ms meds have either contributed to or caused.
            Over the years the only times i had infections though was if my kids brought home conjunctivitis or for another reason. until I began Ty .4 times i have developed small painfull lumps like cysts on my lids(not stys)that have required antibiotcs, oral and drops and sometimes lanced. I have never had any thing like this before. I can't remember the name the doc gave them sorry.I am also much more susceptible to illness.

Just be cautious how long you use the steroid drops for , because although they work well for a short time to speed up healing they will increase dryness used over a longer period than necessary.
            Dry eyes alone are not usually red as such, though they can feel terrible, infection causes redness.
            All the best.

Comment

Hi. I have had 7 or 8 tysabri infusions. I am experiencing dry eye but only in my one eye with optic neuritis, visine was a good source for relief. I thought the eye irritation was due to ms and it still could be but I am encouraged to find that I am not alone with this problem.
              I too have had irritation in the eye that resemble cysts/sty, ??? I left them alone and they went away. I get to see the eye doctors in April-2017.
              Thanks for all the info and good luck to us all.

Comment

Working...
              X