Question about infusion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about infusion...

When you go for your monthly infusion and the invusion itself is finished do they make you wait another hour before releasing you? My center lets me go as soon as im done but my neuro said i should be observed for an hour...I like the idea of leaving and i have never had an issue..Has anybody out there??
    gail

Most keep you for an hour after, it is part of the protacal for Touch Program. My old center it was 45 min infusion and 15 -20 min observation and let you go, Now I have it done at VA and it is 2 hrs on the dot and not one minute sooner.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

In some centers it depends on what number infusion you're up to. In my case, for the first 4 infusions I was kept for an additional hour, and given a saline drip. They just wanted to make sure that I didn't have any reaction to the Tysabri. Now, as soon as the Tysabri is finished I can leave. There are other centers that require you to stay the extra hour regardless of how many infusions you've had.

Kyle
      At weddings, my Aunts would poke me in the ribs and cackle "You're next!". They stopped when I started doing the same to them at funerals. Dave Barry

Comment

I am on #65 and they still keep me an hour extra.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

I only had to stay the hour for the first 3 infusions.
          I leave when finished since.

Comment

I believe it is the official protocol of the Touch prescribing program of Tysabri for the infusion center to monitor for one hour after the infusion is complete. I will be on number 6 next week, and so far, they hold me for the full hour after each infusion. My understanding is that the rationale for this is that side effects or reactions, if going to occur, are more likely to occur within the first hour of completion of the infusion.

I LOVE the idea of my infusion center letting me leave as soon as I'm done; it would certainly give me more time in my day...

Y'all take care, and I hope everyone keeps doing well on their Ty!

May we all be well protected!

Kim

Comment

Ty Touch Protocol

Originally posted by galbert58 View Post
              When you go for your monthly infusion and the invusion itself is finished do they make you wait another hour before releasing you? My center lets me go as soon as im done but my neuro said i should be observed for an hour...I like the idea of leaving and i have never had an issue..Has anybody out there??

My Touch Program IV center requires me to stay the hour after and infuse 250cc fluids during that hour. I asked to leave and the nurse said it was against the Touch Program protocol. They only give me the choice of whether I want the fluids during the observation hour.

Comment

If they are not keeping you an hour after running Tysabri for an hour, they are not following the TOUCH guidelines.

Comment

My infusion center still makes me stay the hour after infusion, even after 67 infusions.

I was the first person to be infused there, and I told them that we were learning together and that I expected them to follow the TOUCH program every single time. After everything we went through to get Tysabri back I didn't want any problems with getting my infusion because of them not following the protocol.

It has come back to bite me in the behind, since they follow the protocol to the letter! There are times I just want to GO, and they make me sit there and stare out the window at the bright sunny day...

The Tysabri information brochure states that some patients have reported reactions even after multiple infusions, so not only do they make me stay, I get the full bag of saline during that hour in case they have to administer benadryl or anything else.
                  "Oh I know the sound the river makes, by dawn, by night, by day;
                  But can it stay me through tomorrows that find me far away?"
                  Tysabri since 05/25/2007

Comment

They make me stay 1 hour exactly-- I have tried to sneak out, but they watch me like a hawk!!! I get my infusions at the Alison Cancer Center in Midland, Texas..

Comment

Working...
                    X