Had MRI I Am Disappointed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had MRI I Am Disappointed

I had my annual MRI yesterday and it showed progression on my spinal cord. I haven't had a relapse
    but I have notice my balance has been worst, almost fell 3 times within a month and he said it was because of the progression so he wants me to stop tecfidera.

He is testing to find out what my jcv index is so I may be back on tysabri, which would be my preference. If not tysabri he wants me to take ocrelizumab when approved hopefully this year.

Does anyone know how tysabri compares to ocrelizumab?
    God Bless Us All

Hi REG53,

I'm sorry about yout MRI.

Originally posted by REG53 View Post
    Does anyone know how tysabri compares to ocrelizumab?
    Very close, with Ocrelizumab on top.

The two OPERA trials showed ocrelizumab to have among the best-in-market efficacy for reducing annualized relapse rate (ARR), while also having a relatively benign safety profile. Drug treatment reduced ARR by 46–47% compared to interferon beta-1a, which is an established standard-of-care for multiple sclerosis (MS). This result potentially places ocrelizumab at a slight advantage to Tysabri, which has demonstrated ~60% ARR reduction against placebo, and is almost identical to the 45% ARR reduction over interferon beta-1a shown by fellow pipeline drug Zinbryta (daclizumab; Biogen/AbbVie) at ECTRIMS 2014. Ocrelizumab’s effect on relapses was also accompanied by a 37–43% reduction in the risk for confirmed disability progression, and highly significant reductions on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) measures of disease activity. Importantly, ocrelizumab had a lower rate of serious adverse events than interferon beta-1a (6.9% vs 8.7%), including serious infections (1.3% vs 2.9%). The most common treatment-emergent adverse event for ocrelizumab was infusion-related reactions, which occurred in 34.3% of patients. There were no reported cases of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy, which have restricted Tysabri’s use to later lines of therapy. http://www.datamonitorhealthcare.com...standout-data/

Best of luck,
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you Kimba.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Hi REG53,
        doggone it

I do not know about Ocrelizimab. I know about it's forrunner Retuximab. R was as good, if not a bit better in everything but sx relief, it doesn't help there. I was thinking of switching, instead went to every 56 days on Ty.

Good luck and my best wishes..
        Linda

Comment

So sorry to hear about your progression.

I am on Rituximab which is the precursor to Ocrelizumab. The primary difference is Ocrelizumab has been humanized while the Rituximab is chimeric.

Ocrelizumab is going to first be approved for PPMS and not RRMS/SPMS patients. FDA action for RRMS patients is not expected before late December 2016. You might ask your neurologist if they can start you on Rituximab (off-label) now. Insurance may not pay for Rituximab, but if your neurologist doesn't ask the answer is already "no." By the time Ocrelizumab is available you'll already have your initial 2 starter doses and your second dose under your belt.

Again, I'm so sorry and wish there was something we could do ....

Comment

So sorry about your progression! I had the same thing happen on Tecfidera. Except I had a bad relapse, then I got the MRI which confirmed the progression.
            I am on Aubagio now, which seems to be working for the most part. We did find a new lesion on my spine-the first one on my spine. I've been on it for nearly a year. But if it didn't work-which my neuro was worried that it was too lateral of a move from Tec-my next option was Ocrelizumab. But it wont be approved for RRMS for a while. I may switch to it anyway when it is approved.

Good luck to you!!!

xo
            Dx 11/09
            Aubagio since 09/15

Comment

Linda-- Thank you and I am so glad ty is still working for you.

Marco-- Thank you. Neuro wants to see me in two months. I guess it takes a while to get the jcv index results for ty but after learning more about Ocrelizumab it is sounding better. I may call his office tomorrow and talk to his nurse.

How are you doing on Rituximab? Any side effects?

Ivy_Sprite-- Thank you and I'm sorry about your progression on tec. also and I hopefully Aubagio will work for you.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
              X