Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions answered by longtime users please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions answered by longtime users please!

Hello fellow Tecees

I just started Tec yesterday on the starter package. Already had the flushing and now the itching. The flushing lasts about 40 min and the itching on my arms and wrists make me want to scratch my skin off. I know people have said to take it with food but I don't really eat anything first thing in the morning.

So my question is this. Do these side effects go away after time or sudside? I stopped Beta because of the side effects and Copaxone I had the immediate side effect reaction with the shortness of breath 6 times out of a month which my Neuro said was way too much so now I'm on Tec. I'm at the point where I just feel like going off these DMDs and just let MS do whatever it wants.
    Thank you for your responses
    Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
    RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
    Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

I would definitely take it with food, fat if you can. At least some peanut butter toast. I still can't take it on an empty stomach 2 years later. Try taking a baby aspirin 81mg half an hour before. This helps with the flushing. This side effect seems so go away for most with time. I no longer take an aspirin.

If you get the stomach issues, try taking Zantac or something similar before each dose as well. That was a life saver for me and I no longer have stomach issues. That went away after a couple months.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!
    Optic neuritis 1999.
    RRMS diagnosed 2007.
    Copaxone 2007 - 2013.
    Tecfidera June 2013 - present.

Comment

I've been on Tecfidera since July. I'm lucky with almost no side effects from reading everyone's advice on here. You have to eat a full meal, a carb, a fat and a protein. It's just one minor thing your MS is changing. I wasn't a breakfast person either, but honestly learning to eat breakfast is way better than side effects. I usually don't eat much at lunch now. If you really can't do breakfast, have an early lunch and take your meds then. Tec doses only have to be 4 hours apart but I would recommend 8 minimum especially in the beginning.

A couple weeks into the full dose, I did have heart burn like crazy with my pill. Tums was my friend for a few weeks and then it went away. Aspirin definitely helps with the flushing. Some people say singulair helps with the GI issues as well. I'm only 4 months in and already I can take my pill with less food, but I still won't do an empty stomach. I did that once, never again for me, but plenty of people say they can.

You body needs to adjust to the meds. Don't give up to soon. There are tons of other threads here with good advice. Scroll back to some of the older ones or just Google avoiding symptoms on Tecfidera. Don't read all the negative stuff and get scared. Lots of us have had no or few issues.

Comment

I started having flushing and itching after two years. I took my pill before I ate, so I started taking it after I ate, which has helped although I have had flushing hrs. after eating and taking the pill.

On the days I eat breakfast out I will take a Benadryl before taking my pill.

I hope you find what works for you.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

I've been on Tec 2+ years, and I have to eat a full meal before taking my pills--or I get horrendous GI side effects (projectile-like vomit, severe all-over flushing, stomach pain, diarrhea, etc. fun!)

However, if I take with a full meal I get mild-moderate flushing only. A few times I have attempted to not eat a full meal (when feeling lazy, or running late), and I get the GI side-effects like clockwork.

I now have an almost clean MRI, no new lesions. All the rest have disappeared except for one cord lesion, which is now hard to see. It took a long time for me to get used to Tec, but it's been worth the pain so far.
          RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

Working...
          X