Tec & ear infections/sinus infections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tec & ear infections/sinus infections

I've been on Tecfidera for almost 2 years. This past year I've had many ear infections and sinus infections. I've never had an ear infection in my life prior. My ears would even have blood in them.

My Neuro doesn't seem to think there's any relation to these infections and Tecfidera. But, deep down I feel there's something going on.

Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks

Tec and infections

I'm sorry for all the ear infections you have been dealing with! Definitely no fun.

I have been on Tec over 2 years. It does wonders managing my MS. However, I have had many infections that I rarely had before. I have had almost every other month skin infections that clear up on their own. The first year on Tec I had sinus infections and caught many viruses. The flushing I have is mild, but related to that I have dry mouth and eyes. Due to the dry mouth I have had 3 cavities in the last 2 years when I haven't had any for over 15 years prior to that. I have had issues with my contacts due to the dry eyes as well. I also get a dry cough a couple hours after I take my dose which goes away in an hour or two.

Since these side effects are bothersome, I tried stopping the Tec for a couple weeks to see if I felt better off of it. My legs would get numb by evening and sometimes weak, which I had before starting Tec but not while on it. Within a couple days of going back on Tec the numbness went away. I think the Tec really manages my MS well so I'm just trying to deal with the side effects. I'm too nervous to stop it and have major MS issues. I still function pretty much at normal level with some fatigue.

Don't know if this helps you at all but I do think Tec prevents you from fighting infections, at least at some level. I hope you feel better soon!!
    Optic neuritis 1999.
    RRMS diagnosed 2007.
    Copaxone 2007 - 2013.
    Tecfidera June 2013 - present.

Comment

Working...
    X