New to Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Tecfidera

After7yrs of Avonex, I am switching to Tecfidera. I have a couple of questions. How far apart do you have to take pills? My neurologist warned me of stomach issues, but from posts I have seen, it seems flushing is more prevalent. How long after pill do symptoms hit ? Thanks

I'm almost done with week two. I've heard and always try to keep the pills as close to 12 hours apart. But have not been always able to. Usually first pill in morning at 8 and my second pill at 6pm.
    I had flushing immediately but no stomach issues what so ever. I started taking a low dose aspirin about a half hour prior to, eat a good size meal, and then take my tec. This seemed to minimize flushing some what.
    Starting Yesterday (day 11) my flushing is gone and no issues at all.
    I've heard some say that symptoms sometimes reappear at week 3, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by CMRN View Post
      After7yrs of Avonex, I am switching to Tecfidera. I have a couple of questions. How far apart do you have to take pills? My neurologist warned me of stomach issues, but from posts I have seen, it seems flushing is more prevalent. How long after pill do symptoms hit ? Thanks
      I am on Tec now for 8 month and it is good medication. I have less attacks and the side effects in my case are that my nose starts to run for 20 minutes - like a faucet. Than I have back pain - however maybe not related. The stomach issues are solved with Aspirin and taking the med with a meal. I take the pills 12 hours appart. Good luck to you! Erwin

Comment

I just switched to Tecifidera after being on Avonex for 10 years. I am starting week 2 (so I am just starting normal pack) So far it has not been bad for me with side effects but it is also early yet. I will keep you posted. I try to take the pills 12 hours apart as that is what I have read here. I am so happy to have found this site. It is nice to be be able to connect with others who understand what this is really like. Wishing you well and keep in touch.

Comment

Thanks all! Hoping to start next week. Waiting on insurance red tape....etc. This is my first week without Avonex so I am eager to get started.

Comment

flushing

This is one of the only side effects I got. I've been on Tec for over 4 months now. I find flushing, when it happens, is abut 2-2.5 hours after I take it, and it's always on days when I didn't have any fat in my breakfast. So....I added a few tablespoons of sunflower seeds with breakfast, or some avocado, and now I rarely flush anymore.

Comment

Hey I have been on tec since November. You wanna take it as close as you can to 12 hours apart . I flushed up once this whole time it lasted 10 minutes wasn't uncomfortable at all . just felt warm and fuzzy . No GI problems . I always eat a meal before . somewhat fatty foods. It seems to really help. I hope tecfidera treats you as well as it does me ! Good luck. Wish you the best.

Comment

Working...
              X