Overcoming Tecfidera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overcoming Tecfidera

I am wondering if we could post things that have helped us get over stomach issues from Tecfidera. I know I would find it helpful. I am going back down to 120 twice a day as well as adding Zofran for the next two weeks. I will not start this till Thurs. and I will let people know how it is going. I look forward from hearing from others on how they are dealing or dealt with stomach issues. It is good to have company through this journey

You have a good idea. I hope that you benefit from this modification and that others get some benefit, too. Good luck

Comment

I've been on Tecfidera for a month now and didn't have any of the stomach issues people have had. I also take it with a probiotic so I'm not sure if that's what helped or not.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I just started taking a probiotic:-)

Comment

Diet= eat bland food
          Meds= use tums, pepto, etc

Flushing= take with food ( a little before and after) and stay hydrated.

Comment

My neuro wants me to take OTC prilosec when I start tecfidera tomorrow to hopefully ease potential gi issues. Fingers crossed!

Comment

I started OTC prilosec every morning for a week prior to starting Tecfidera. Then have continued ever since. Also, I always take the Tecfidera with food - with breakfast in the morning and with icecream or graham crackers (sometimes with a little peanut butter) in the evening. I think it helps.

Eventually, I plan to try weaning off the prilosec - after I've been on the Tec for a couple months. Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised. Generally, if someone is going to have stomach issues it will be me!
              Symptoms 8/09. Dx 1/10. Avonex 2/10 - 1/11. Copaxone 2/11 to 5/13. Tecfidera 5/13 to 2/15. Gilenya 12/15 to current.

Comment

Tecfidera symptom management

I started 5 weeks ago on the approved regimen (120 2x/day for 1 wk, then 240 2x/day). I try to take my pills roughly 11-13 hours apart. Following the first dose, I had issues with heartburn- and at that point I started to take my MD's advice seriously, so I took Tagamet ~15-30 minutes prior to each dose subsequent to the first dose.

After ~4 days I developed an ugly looking rash on my arms and thighs that went away over the following 4 days, although it didn't itch or otherwise annoy me. Worst for me was that starting at roughly 9 days my stomach just felt unsettled, despite the Tagamet, I had some GI issues (a little gas, some loose stools, and an overall feeling like I was trying to digest a lead weight).

It seemed to me that Pepto Bismol helped these symptoms a bit, but I never found a perfect solution for the stomach "unsettled" problem. It wasn't enough to keep me from working or sleeping, so I powered through. On day 19, all remaining symptoms vanished completely and I've been trouble-free since then. I may have had one brief flushing incident sometime in the first week, but it was so minor I barely registered it.

My neuro suggested I take the Tagamet (it seemed that a minimum of 15 min before the Tecfidera worked best) and that I take the Tecfidera on a full stomach.

My suggestion is that everyone having troubles take full advantage of supporting symptom treatments as necessary-- Tagamet, Pepto, Gas-X, anti-nausea meds, etc. Waiting out the symptoms seems to work for some. The prescribing info sheet (assuming you have a magnifier to read it) appears to indicate the Tecfidera is absorbed more slowly if you take it on a fatty meal (e.g. ice cream, bacon, beef brisket, etc.)- which suggests to me that side effects could potentially be mitigated by taking pills on a fat-heavy meal.

From my perspective, the Tecfidera is way better than the Betaseron injection site reactions (roughly 11 years of Betaseron, ~10 of which were rife with site reactions to which my previous neuro was entirely unsympathetic- on a side note, I strongly recommend firing docs who don't take your concerns seriously).

I tried Gilenya, but threw in the towel after 6 months of feeling like I was on beta blockers- tired, slow, and terrible hives from contact with allergens which were evidently residue from my dry cleaners' process. I'm a huge Tecfidera fan, and the maracas sound the pills make is just an added bonus- I'm ready to join the next Mariachi band to swing through town.

Best of luck to everyone-
                j

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
                j

Comment

Wonder if weight factors in?

When I was very thin I had worse side effects from treatments. When I gained weight, the symptoms lessened. I wonder if those who are thin or underweight have worse side effects?
                  Take care, Wiz
                  RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

Originally posted by ewizabeth View Post
                    When I was very thin I had worse side effects from treatments. When I gained weight, the symptoms lessened. I wonder if those who are thin or underweight have worse side effects?
                    I don't think that's it. I'm ~220 so I'm not a small guy but not huge and I have pretty severe side effects at first, but I have been able to ramp up some. Can see my experience in my other post:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126704

Comment

It is great to read what is helping people. I am still not taking my meds and my stomach continues to be easily irritated. I will start again next week Friday.

Comment

Brian it was really good to read your post. I was having the same thing happen to me. I am so glad to hear that you are doing better. I pretty much was thinking it couldn't happen. You have given me some hope

Comment

I am on week 4 and I didn't have side effects till last night. My stomach burned so bad and it does today also. I really thought I was in the clear with side effects. I just wonder how long this side effect will last. Right now my stomach is on fire and have nothing to take so I hope it goes away soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy123 View Post
                            I am on week 4 and I didn't have side effects till last night. My stomach burned so bad and it does today also. I really thought I was in the clear with side effects. I just wonder how long this side effect will last. Right now my stomach is on fire and have nothing to take so I hope it goes away soon.
                            How are you doing?

Comment

Diarson--- I still have a burning stomach but I take Zantac and drink 7-up. It is working. But my walk is bad. It was fine with the 120mg but got worse as time went by.

I have been taking one 240 mg at nite now. I better get better. Maybe my body is tring 2 adjust without the Tysabri.

Comment

Working...
                              X