Disposing of Rebidose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disposing of Rebidose?

Does anyone use a needle clipper on the Rebidose before throwing away the syringe? My first shot is Monday and I'm trying to figure out how to safely and easily dispose of the waste. The medical clinics in my area do not do needle disposal.

The sanitation department for your city or county has rules for disposing of syringes and medical waste. The policy should probably be on their website. Where I live needles and syringes are supposed to be sealed in a sturdy container and taken to the hazardous waste drop-off center so that's what I did. I never clipped needles or just threw the syringes away. Some cities and counties allow people to put them in the regular trash but there are rules about what kind of container they need to be in. Check with your sanitation department for their policy.

Comment

Thanks for the response - I have checked into those policies, I should have specified! Like your needle disposal protocol, we have the option sealing sharps in a proper disposal container, but then we are allowed to throw them in the trash with "Do Not Recycle" written across the container. The Rebidose injectors are quite large, though, so I think I'd go through these disposal containers pretty quickly. We can throw away syringes in the trash directly as long as we clip the needles. I was wondering whether anyone clips the needles off of the Rebidose or if that's even possible after use.

Comment

I got a 2 gallon size sharps bin on Amazon. Holds three months worth of Rebidose injectors!! I do not clip the needles off of them.
        Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
        Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
        Gilenya since 11/2014.
        Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
        EDSS 3.

Comment

Thanks, aredmosquito, I ordered one just now. This is a vast improvement over my tiny sharps container!

BTW, just for posterity's sake, it's impossible to clip the needles on the Rebidose injectors, so a big sharps container like this one is a must.

Comment

I remember my Lifelines nurse mentioning a sharps program they have for Rebidose users, but never asked for info (my mom is a nurse and gets my container robotically cleaned). Since you don't have easy access to sharps disposal, maybe call Lifelines?
            Diagnosed with RRMS on 3/15/2013...beware the ides of March!
            Rebif from 5/2013 - 09/2014.
            Gilenya since 11/2014.
            Also taking vitamin D3, fish oil, magnesium, and B12.
            EDSS 3.

Comment

Originally posted by aredmosquito View Post
              I got a 2 gallon size sharps bin on Amazon. Holds three months worth of Rebidose injectors!! I do not clip the needles off of them.
              I just asked my pharmacy provider and they mailed it with my injections. It was a big one two no need to purchase. It is at least worth an ask.
              Don't forget to use the good china for Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.

Comment

Use a plastic Coffee Container for disposal

I use a large coffee container (2 lb.) for the Rebidose. They don't fit my Sharps container like the old injection syringes did. In my town, they can go out with the trash and don't even have to be labeled. But I DO label them so no one will try to re-use the container.

Comment

If I'm correct, Rebidose should have a plastic tube that sticks out when the injection is completed. I was informed that clipping the needle is unnecessary because the plastic tube prevents future harm by the needle.

But the disposal of the entire pen depends on your city/county.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                  X