Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plegridy. Any thoughts on this medicine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynnada
    replied
    Ciel - or anyone experienced with interferons -

I have dents from Copaxone too, that's why I am looking to switch meds - also I'm burnt out on daily shots and the 3x/week Copaxone site reactions were worse for me.

I was wondering if you found Avonex any better in regards to site reactions and dents since it is intramuscular. Are any of the other injectables that you've tried any better? Which interferon did you find to have the least side effects?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Ciel
    replied
    Starting Plegridy

I am starting Plegridy on Monday. Since 1995 I have taken, in order, Betaseron, Copaxone, Novantrone, Avonex, Rebif, Avonex again. Because if kidney risk (I have Lupus as well) and hypertension, I did not qualify for any of the oral meds.
    An MS Active source supplied nurse must come to show me how to use the injector. It seemed fairly straightforward from the HUGE information package but the training is required.

I agree that the info package is just side effect warnings over and over. My doc has been involved in the trials and he feels the biggest issues are depression ( as the literature states you should discuss signs of new or worsening depression with your doctor before starting Plegridy), and 24-48 hours of having the "interferon flu" I will take a prescription strength Nsaid a few hours before injection and every 4-6 hours for the 24 hours following injection. I will also use an ice pack to ease the discomfort and counter any swelling after each injection.

The dose is huge and I will titrate from 1/2 dose to 3/4 to full so won't b on full dose until 6 weeks out. There are also very specific injection sites to avoid the medicine coming in direct contact with any joints.

As for getting away from the "dents" created by copaxone - (I have those on my thighs and stomach from over 10 years ago) - it is my understanding that Plegridy will create the same kind of atrophy. Also, the injections can be painful. I have had very bad side effects from the other interferons and I have been warned that these will be like those only multiplied - aches, low-grade fever, extreme fatigue and, for me, migraine. However, I have decided that I can manage around two - four days of side affects a month. That is much better than every week.

It is very expensive but the standard prescription includes a statement of medical necessity for insurance. Mine was approved in 2 days for the standard $40. copay. Biogen has a program that will refund that if you apply.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Leave a comment:

• Lynnada
    replied
    I just received a box of info on Plegridy via FedEx yesterday. It has an injection planner and several preparation mats, but it's huge and the bulk of it is the warnings and side effects stated over and over and over throughout the materials.

I'm concerned since I've never tried an interferon before. Maybe I should give Avonex a shot before going for the big gun Plegridy. I asked my doctor if trying Avonex would give me an idea if Plegridy side effects would be worse for me and she said no. She also didn't have me get blood work before I tried Aubagio, so I'm not the most comfortable with her lately either.

Leave a comment:

• sos219
    replied
    I just filled out and signed the plegridy start form. I am on Avonex right now but the doctors don't feel that it's really working. So we are going to try Plegridy which is basically Avonex 2.0 stays in the system longer and double the dose.

I'm nervous about the side effects of increasing the dose so much but all the meds have their side effects. I know that thought it's not one of the "big" side effect Seizures were mentions for Avonex as well. I've read about possible heart problems but I did not however hear about Permanent heart problems... I will have to talk to my doctor about that one!

But in general I'm "excited" about it if for no other reason it's less shots with a smaller needle

Leave a comment:

• javaaddict
    replied
    I am having some trouble with Tecfidera, and have been considering this.

They strongly advise against it if you have a history of depression.

The other side effects I've read about did not make me super happy either - permanent heart arrhythmia and seizures. Not that that happens to most people, but it's worth a look. Those are heavy duty consequences.

The idea of a subq 2x a month is very appealing to me.

Leave a comment:

• Lynnada
    replied
    Saw my neurologist today and signed up to try it, even though I've never heard of it.

I've been on Copaxone for 12 years and full of dents from injections. Switched to the 3/week Copaxone and the welts and irritation were worse. I also had an infection at the site and the skin tore open. Tried Tecfidera and Aubagio and had stomach problems.

I planned on going back to daily Copaxone and would just have to get creative finding usable sites. I'm nervous about Plegridy, but I won't know if it works for me if I don't try it.

Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

• Seasha
    replied
    Hi jlk9498 - here is a thread under our Treatment and Trials sub forum that might be of help to you:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...light=plegridy

Leave a comment:

• thinkpink
    replied
    Plegridy: wondering too

I just saw something advertising that it's out as of today, and came here hoping someone else had info. about it.
    I just switched off of Tec, back to Ty, but can't be on it for more than a year or two, so I am hoping for new meds coming out in the next couple of years. When my doctor mentioned the promising medications, he said he was most excited about ocrelizumab and another 'mab' formulation that's a shot, but didn't mention this one. Maybe that's because it is more of a mid-range like Tec, not big guns like Ty.
    I'd love to hear more about it, however. There was tons of info about Tysabri before it came out.

Leave a comment:

• jlk9498
    started a topic Plegridy. Any thoughts on this medicine?

Plegridy. Any thoughts on this medicine?

Has anyone heard of Pledgridy?
Working...
X