Ocrevus Reduces MS Relapse Risk, But Linked to More Hospitalizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocrevus Reduces MS Relapse Risk, But Linked to More Hospitalizations

Ocrevus (ocrelizumab) reduces relapse risk and slows disability progression in multiple sclerosis (MS) but also is associated with higher hospitalization rates in older people with relapsing forms of the disease, a new observational study reports.

Hospitalizations — which occurred mainly due to urinary tract infections — were more frequent in adults ages 55 and older than in those below that age, the study found.

“Although patients older than 55 were not at higher risk of having an infection, the number of hospitalisations in older patients in our [study] due to an infection is concerning,” the researchers wrote.

“Given these … observations, we recommend that the patient’s age and level of disability should be taken into account when considering the use of ocrelizumab [Ocrevus] and should prompt very close monitoring when it is employed in older and more disabled patients,” they wrote.

Full article:

Ocrevus Reduces MS Relapse Risk, But Linked to More Hospitalizations (multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com)
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

I was on tecfidera for several years and had several urinary tract infections and finally ended up in the hospital the beginning of 2017. I started on ocrevus the fall of 2017. Did well only had 2 or 3 infections in that time but this last time I finished up the covid-19 vaccine August 19th, and by August 20th urinary tract infection really put me back and I ended up in the hospital, rehab and now and assisted living. All of that since August 20th. I will be going to my neurologist next week to find out whether they will continue me on ocrevus. It sounds like it might not be a good idea to continue with the ocrevus.

Comment

Working...
    X