Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Previous immunisations still good after starting ocrevus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previous immunisations still good after starting ocrevus?

Hi team, i know ocrevus diminishes the response to new immunisations, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about it diminishing the effectiveness of immunisations done before starting ocrevus?
    its of general interest.. but also, I just stood on a dirty nail, so wondering if my 3 year old tetanus immunisation is still good! (The general advice is if its been more than 5 years since your last shot and you stood on a dirty nail you should get a booster.. but.. wondering if ocrevus might change that!) Been on ocrelizumab for 1 year, was on natalizumab before that 😊

Important question. I don't know the answer.

Have you called your neuro's office to ask them? They might have advice / feedback.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I’ve wondered the same thing.
      Have been on Ocrevus three years. I have had lots of cuts , scrapes , pokes , and scratches and everything has so far healed up just fine. Good luck.
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Thanks for your replies :-)
        I will definately be asking my medical proffessionals! Have to wait until Monday though :-/
        The whole vaccine response reduction is a little unsettling! But I'm not as worried about PML as I was on Tysabri - so its a bit of a win some lose some balance 🤣 (they are both win though! I've had no relapses on either!)

Comment

Hi Chirpy,

The only study I'm aware of regarding the effectiveness of vaccines is the VELOCE study, which showed a lowered response to vaccines after starting Ocrevus treatment. https://n.neurology.org/content/95/14/e1999

So you should still be good with your tetanus vaccine, especially since you had it before starting treatment with Ocrevus.

Originally posted by Chirpy
          The whole vaccine response reduction is a little unsettling! But I'm not as worried about PML as I was on Tysabri - so its a bit of a win some lose some balance 🤣 (they are both win though! I've had no relapses on either!)
          Yeah, but good to hear it's working for you.

Best wishes
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
          X