At a Crossroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a Crossroads

I have been on Avonex for nearly 8 years, it has kept me stable but the last 9+ months I have been noticing an increase in my symptoms. My recent MRI shows that I’m stable but I sure don’t feel that way. My legs have become heavier and the paresthesia is more intense just to name a few things.

I was thinking about switching to Ocrevus but I has wanted to wait until it has been in the marketplace at least 2 years, that would give it enough time to bring some of the side effects to the forefront, ie: PML. I had contemplating going to Gilenya in the short term but I don’t want to be switching back and forth.

Has anyone else had this kind of dilemma? I tried discussing this with my doctor but I can’t get an answer as to whether he feels I should switch now or wait. He did say that they are very comfortable with Ocrevus. and understands my reason for wanting to wait. Maybe that's not the best course though.
    Linda
    Diagnosed RRMS 1985
    Tysabri 5/07-3/10: Avonex 8/10

Hello scampergirl, I have never had this kind of dilemma but I have changed meds. several times. My first med was Avonex my next was tysabri then tecfidera and now I am on ocrevus. I changed ea time because of progression. I had to stop tysabri because I was Jcv + and the risk of PML was high. so my neuro suggested I changed ea time.

Whatever you decide I hope it works well for you.
    God Bless Us All

Comment

Changing meds over and over

I stayed on avonex for 1 year. Then it was a few months of Rebif. I had new lesions with both and multiple relapses. Then I was on Tysabri for 6 years. Had to stop because of JCV+. Then it was Tecfidera for about a year, I developed psoriasis. Neuro switched me to Gilenya. I had a dangerously low lymphocyte count. So my Neuro put me back on Tecfidera. The psoriasis finally stopped. Remained on Tecfidera for 2 years until lymphocyte counts we're dangerously low. Neuro asked to switch me to lemtrada or ocrevus. I chose Ocrevus. Hopefully I can stay on this for awhile. I dislike switching DMTs.

Comment

Curious- when you say dangerously low lymphocyte counts, what were they?

Comment

Absolute lymphocyte

My absolute lymphocyte counts were .22 at the lowest.
          I remember my Neuro saying anything below .5 on Tecfidera is a problem.

Comment

That is a big jump in effectiveness from Avonex to Ocrevus. But since Avonex has not been associated with PML, it seems you would be in a good position to make the plunge. I went from Avonex to Tysabri and the transition was extremely smoothe.

Comment

Working...
            X