No announcement yet.

Starting the Ocrevus process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medicare approved Ocrevus for me. My first infusion has just been scheduled for next Thursday! It will be covered as a procedure, with Medicare paying 80% and my Medigap insurance paying the other 20%. Unfortunately I have high-deductible Medigap coverage so I'll be paying that I guess.

The nurse said plan on being there 4-6 hours, and have a driver because of premedication with Benadryl.

Comment

How much you pay ?

Originally posted by kmallory1 View Post
      Medicare approved Ocrevus for me. My first infusion has just been scheduled for next Thursday! It will be covered as a procedure, with Medicare paying 80% and my Medigap insurance paying the other 20%. Unfortunately I have high-deductible Medigap coverage so I'll be paying that I guess.

The nurse said plan on being there 4-6 hours, and have a driver because of premedication with Benadryl.
      Hi Kmallory1

Do you mind sharing how much approximately you shall pay for ocrevus?

Thanks

Comment

brave, I'm glad your infusions went well.

kmallory, I hope your infusion goes well. I will be going on the 12th.

All the best to you both.
        God Bless Us All

Comment

Brave,
          I'll post it when I find out, which will probably be when I get a bill for it. I've read that the cost will be $65,000 per year but I don't know how that is divided between the first infusions and whether that is just for the medication.

The nurse I talked to did not have numbers or did not want to commit to quoting an amount on the phone.

Comment

First infusion was today! I was given 2 extra strength Tylenol, 2 Benadryl capsules, and IV Solumedrol 30 minutes before the Ocrevus infusion.

During the infusion, my blood pressure and temperature were taken every half hour, and remained stable. The infusion rate was increased slightly every half hour.

After the infusion, I had to stay an additional hour for observation.

I was there for 5 hours, along with about 10 others.

I had no problems, just a little dry mouth in the afternoon.

Comment

I'm glad your first infusion went well. I will be going Monday and I have to say I am nervous.
              God Bless Us All

Comment

Well, I just got a call from the ms center saying I have to postpone my infusion because I have got to get more blood work. She said my absolute lymphocytes is a 6 and it needs to be 7. I can't believe they waited to the last min. She said I will have to wait 2 wks. It may be that I won't be able to take it at all. I am so tired.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

Reg53,
                  Were you on Tecfidera? Or another DMD?

I was originally told I'd need to be off Tecfidera for 8 weeks, but my lymphocyte count was OK at 5 weeks.

I hope yours comes up. It has to be frustrating to get it postponed at the last minute.

Comment

kmallory, yes I was on Tec. I took my last pill at the end of April. Hopefully it will come back up.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

My lymphocytes came back up to a 7. I will have infusion on Monday 26th.
                      God Bless Us All

Comment

That's great news. Hope it goes well. My second infusion is tomorrow and I just got the reminder call: "bring a book, you'll be here 6 hours."

Comment

Thank you kmallory, I am going to bring a book, snacks and a heavy sweater. I was on TY for many years and I know how cold that infusion room can be.
                          God Bless Us All

Comment

kmallory, how did your 2nd infusion go? My first went very well.
                            God Bless Us All

Comment

Reg53, I'm glad to hear your infusion went well. My second went fine. I got 1 Benadryl instead of 2, so not quite as sleepy.

Comment

Working...
                              X