For Progressive and Non-Active Secondary Progressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Progressive and Non-Active Secondary Progressive

A bit of promising news... (Oral drug and not an immunosuppressive)

AB Science OK’d to Start Masitinib Phase 3 Trial for Progressive MS

“We are very excited to initiate this confirmatory phase III study with masitinib in progressive forms of multiple sclerosis,” Patrick Vermersch, MD, PhD, the trial’s principal investigator, said in a press release. He is a professor of neurology at the University of Lille, France.

While progressive forms of the disease “currently account for approximately 50% of MS cases,” Vermersch said, “the vast majority of treatments … apply mainly to the relapsing remitting forms of the disease.”

Masitinib is an oral medication that works by blocking tyrosine kinase, an enzyme essential for the activity of innate immune cells — such as mast cells, microglia, and macrophages — which are thought to drive neuroinflammation and neurodegeneration in progressive MS.

“Furthermore, masitinib is not an immunosuppressive treatment, which is particularly important in MS patients who need to receive long-term treatment and who, in certain cases, already have a weakened immune system due to previous treatments or because of their age,” added Hermine, who is also a member of the French Academy of Sciences.

Full article:

AB Science OK'd to Start Masitinib Phase 3 Trial in Progressive MS (multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com)
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

I looked at part of the article. I had wondered if this might be designed to reverse symptoms of progressive MS, but, alas ...

By suppressing innate immune cells, the therapy is expected to slow disease progression in progressive forms of MS.
    Still, slowing disease progression, would be a step in the right direction.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Anything to help slow my PPMS progression would be great!

Comment

Working...
      X