Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential new remyelination therapy

English Version: http://www.medicaldaily.com/potentia...-damage-268918

This particular study, published in Neuron, pinpointed the protein known as Endothelin-1, or ET-1, as having therapeutic potential; it could repair tissue, as it has been shown to inhibit repair of myelin. Targeting ET-1 would involve identifying signals in cells that promote lesion repair.

Medical Term Version: http://www.cell.com/neuron/retrieve/...96627313010830

Highlights
    • ET-1 is highly upregulated in astrocytes in human MS lesions
    • Astrocyte-derived ET-1 inhibits remyelination
    • ET-1 is an endogenous regulator of Notch signaling
    • ET-R antagonist PD142,893 can be used therapeutically to promote remyelination

Summary

Oligodendrocyte progenitor cells (OPCs) can repair demyelinated lesions by maturing into myelin-producing oligodendrocytes. However, the OPC potential to differentiate can be prevented by inhibitory signals present in the pathological lesion environment. Identification of these signals is essential to promote OPC differentiation and lesion repair. We identified an endogenous inhibitor of remyelination, Endothelin-1 (ET-1), which is highly expressed in reactive astrocytes of demyelinated lesions. Using both gain- and loss-of-function approaches, we demonstrate that ET-1 drastically reduces the rate of remyelination. We also discovered that ET-1 acts mechanistically by promoting Notch activation in OPCs during remyelination through induction of Jagged1 expression in reactive astrocytes. Pharmacological inhibition of ET signaling prevented Notch activation in demyelinated lesions and accelerated remyelination. These findings reveal that ET-1 is a negative regulator of OPC differentiation and remyelination and is potentially a therapeutic target to promote lesion repair in demyelinated tissue.

Cool approach. You suppose the people at the Myelin Repair Foundation are on a similar track?

Comment

They are also doing a study of Clemastine which has shown promise of re-myelination in mice. This drug is an OTC antihistamine marketed under the name Tavist. It is an old drug and safe.

Because I am usually desperate to maintain whatever function I still have, I have been taking it but just at night. I switched from Zyrtec which I need every day anyway, but the Clemastine is quite sedating and I am sleeping really, really, exceptionally well.

Comment

Ga-
        What dosage of Clemastine are you taking?

Thanks

Comment

Blurb about exosomes in this month's Scientific American; more extensive description here:

http://news.uchicago.edu/article/201...iple-sclerosis

Comment

Ga-
            What dosage of Clemastine are you taking?
            The study is using 4 mg twice daily. I think it would be very sedating for me, I'm already taking Provigil and having trouble with fatigue.

I just am taking 2.8 mg at night (the pills come in 1.4 mg dose). I sleep very well, waking up is a problem. Since I have many allergies and was taking Zyrtec, I switched to a similar over the counter drug that may potentially be repairing my myelin.

Wish I could get rid of all the inflammation throughout GI tract, skin, eyes, well just about everywhere. That's why I am considering Tecflidera, it is an anti-inflammatory drug.

Comment

Tavist

[QUOTE=
              Wish I could get rid of all the inflammation throughout GI tract, skin, eyes, well just about everywhere. That's why I am considering Tecflidera, it is an anti-inflammatory drug.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the Tavist is causing the inflammation? I'm very interested but have so many side effects already from my meds, most of them drowsiness. I feel like I could easily sleep 12 hours a night, too bad i don't have time for that.

Comment

Working...
              X