How much does this drug cost??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does this drug cost??!!

Pre-insurance. Pre-adjustments (which is a total racket btw) I can't get a straight answer from anybody. It's been 3 months since my relapse and everyone's stalling. Friendly reminder to my 'providers' - MS doesn't stall. What started out as an absurd navigation through our healthcare system has seriously become kafkaesque and I'm about to lose it while simultaneously being told to reduce stress, since afterall that's what precipitated the relapse in the first place. (and while you're at it please tell my bipolar I'm taking all my meds so chill out!)
    Someone please help!! I would like to know how much this drug costs before any manipulation.
    Thank you.

Hi sardi,

How frustrating!

For the initial 5 days, and the 3 days of treatment a year later, the 2014 'retail' price of Lemtrada was $158,000 (no doubt the price has increased since then). Insurance companies negotiate the price they actually pay, so that will vary. (My insurance company pays 1/3 of the retail price forTysabri - but, it's also been around for awhile.)

I hope you get answers and can start treatment, soon. Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I've had the first and second year treatments and had very little cost - but that does not answer your question. My approval process for year 1 did take a couple of months, but year 2 was pretty quick.

I worked with my nuero's office closely thru the approval process.
      Also Genzyme MS one-to-one program can assist - they helped with their co-pay and getting me approved for it.

Comment

Please contact your insurance company to determine "your" cost for the drug.
        • - As Kimba said, insurance companies negotiate their prices for the drug.
        • - The other important factors for your cost are determined in what your policy covers: ie: your co-pays, deductibles, etc.
        • - For me (I'm on Copaxone 40), my insurance covers all but my $30 co-pay, even though I think retail is over $2000 per month. And, Shared Solutions (Teva's patient support) pays that, so I pay $0. Most drug companies may not offer that benefit.

Your insurance company should be able to determine your cost. Unfortunately, insurance companies often have voice mails and long hold times, but, if that's what you need to do to get answers, that's what you need to do.

If you still can't get a straight answer, consider contacting the RN at your doctor's office. Perhaps the nurse can make a phone call to your insurance company and obtain that information for you.
        Last edited by Mamabug; 08-06-2016, 06:29 PM.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Worth the hype?

I never heard about this drug until today. Now, I'm hearing it called an MS cure.
          I would give about anything to be normal.
          Who has tried it?
          Was it worth it?
          HOW did you pay for it?
          What are the side effects?
          Thx!
          Hunter

Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind. - Albert Einstein

Comment

According to my insurance company

A 28 day supply of Copaxone 40mg costs over $5400!

Comment

Unfortunately it's REALLY expensive!!

My bill, before anything else, was $427,000! My infusion was 12/5-9 last year. That cost only covers that 1st 5 day infusion. I was in CA @ USC & had my treatment as an outpatient. I have heard similar costs from others.

QUOTE=sardi_g;1495007]Pre-insurance. Pre-adjustments (which is a total racket btw) I can't get a straight answer from anybody. It's been 3 months since my relapse and everyone's stalling. Friendly reminder to my 'providers' - MS doesn't stall. What started out as an absurd navigation through our healthcare system has seriously become kafkaesque and I'm about to lose it while simultaneously being told to reduce stress, since afterall that's what precipitated the relapse in the first place. (and while you're at it please tell my bipolar I'm taking all my meds so chill out!)
              Someone please help!! I would like to know how much this drug costs before any manipulation.
              Thank you.[/QUOTE]
              ~jennifer
              1st symptom '94 Diagnosed 1999
              Progressive/Relapsing
              Copax/Rebif/Chemo/Tysabri/Rituxan
              Plasmapheresis/Steroids/Copax again/Tecfidera/Aubagio/Lemtrada start 10.5

Comment

I think my first five infusions came up to about 100K. So in the end the whole treatment will be around 160K. I qualified for the co-pay assistance program since I'm not a millionaire so in the end I haven't really paid much for it. It's actually a pretty affordable drug. If it covers you for 5 years out like it does 80% of people, then the cost is lower than many of the newer drugs.

The upfront cost is hard to swallow and insurance companies move slow. I hope you get your answers soon.

Comment

Thanks all. I did get help from the hospital itself. I just finished yesterday so now it's time to really chill out and take care of myself.
                  FYI: Do NOT drive during this week. And only until you feel up to it. It's a daily 9-hour process yet possibly the steroids induced some hyperactivity and I attempted to drive home for the night and got in a car crash and rolled over three times. Fortunately miraculously no major injuries but the airbags caused bruising and lacerations which is the LAST thing you need when you have no infection-fighting armour - and no platelets I believe. Anyway... things have got to get better. Boy I have stories no one would believe.
                  Take care all

Comment

Originally posted by sardi_g View Post
                    Thanks all. I did get help from the hospital itself. I just finished yesterday so now it's time to really chill out and take care of myself.
                    FYI: Do NOT drive during this week. And only until you feel up to it. It's a daily 9-hour process yet possibly the steroids induced some hyperactivity and I attempted to drive home for the night and got in a car crash and rolled over three times. Fortunately miraculously no major injuries but the airbags caused bruising and lacerations which is the LAST thing you need when you have no infection-fighting armour - and no platelets I believe. Anyway... things have got to get better. Boy I have stories no one would believe.
                    Take care all
                    I'm glad you finally got treatment. So sorry you had a car accident! Glad you weren't seriously injured, and things are getting better. How scary not only to be in an accident, but then to worry about infections. (Surprised you weren't told someone else should drive you home after your treatments. )

I hope the treatment helps you. Good luck.
                    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Working...
                    X