Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertility? What side effect have you experienced from Lemtrada?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fertility? What side effect have you experienced from Lemtrada?

Hi guys!

So I'm 24 years old, in my last year of my bachelor so really busy with uni. Timing couldn't have been worse but I got a call that I have to stop with the Tysabri because my index is too high. So here I am looking at alternatives like Lemtrada. I want kids later on in my life and want to attack the MS best as possible. But on the other hands do not want to put any other diseases on myself and with Lemtrada the possible side effects all sound pretty scary.

Are there any people here who have had any side effects with Lemtrada? Does anyone know if it has any effect on your fertility? Any other side effects that might make going to uni more difficult? Let me know everything haha, I want to make a good decision!

Thank you!

So far nothing has been said about infertility in the trials...at least what I read. Don't let people scare you about the side effects. Aside from the thyroid issue, it's about like other heavy hitter MS drugs. You should really talk it over with a doctor who prescribes Lemtrada if you are worried. They have plans in place to take care of the side effects.

Word on the street is you are good to go with having babies 4 months after your second treatment. It's really a great option if you are young and wanting to start a family.

I am two months out and fighting fatigue big time. My doctor said that there is about 20% where fatigue is an issue for the first 5 or 6 months. I'm one of those lucky people. If you have a two or three month break sometime in the year, that would probably give you time to recover before going back to school.

Comment

Originally posted by alk View Post
      So far nothing has been said about infertility in the trials...at least what I read. Don't let people scare you about the side effects. Aside from the thyroid issue, it's about like other heavy hitter MS drugs. You should really talk it over with a doctor who prescribes Lemtrada if you are worried. They have plans in place to take care of the side effects.

Word on the street is you are good to go with having babies 4 months after your second treatment. It's really a great option if you are young and wanting to start a family.

I am two months out and fighting fatigue big time. My doctor said that there is about 20% where fatigue is an issue for the first 5 or 6 months. I'm one of those lucky people. If you have a two or three month break sometime in the year, that would probably give you time to recover before going back to school.
      Thank you so much for your respond! I've discussed it with my neuro and she actually recommended it to me if I had a wish for babies. I kind of do, sure but not in the first next years... Still need to work on my carriere and stuff. Gilenya was an option too but she finds Lemtrada way more powerful. Lemtrada sounds awesome really, I could live a pretty normal live without going to the hospital each month or taking pills. Don't have to take days off for work.... The side effects are just so scary... The thyroid issues are treatable but I seriously do not want another disease on top of the MS. She said cancer is a possibility as well but it's a possibility with all the other meds as well.

Dunno, if the side effects of Lemtrada weren't so scary I would have chosen it right away. But I'd have to avoid sick people, raw food (bye sushi), check my thyroid and urine each month, get my vaccination chart updated and get the right medication to avoid varicella and herpes. Lemtrada just sounds scary!

Have some thinking to do...

Comment

most of those autoimmune diseases are treatable when caught early. My doctor said that he's only heard of one person who needed more than one round of steroids to treat.

Comment

Working...
        X