Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just completed my 5 days

Hello

I'm from the UK so the protocol over here may differ somewhat but thought I'd summarise my experience.

I only finished yesterday and have to say I've came out feeling worse than I went in! To be expected though really.

The treatment itself was uneventful. Day 1,2,3 IV steroids were given for one hour followed by a break for another hour than 4 hours continual IV Lemtrada. Day 4 I went without the steroids but was put back on them yesterday as I got a rash. When on the Lemtrada your heart rate and blood pressure is measured every 15 minutes or so.

Side effects: Day one I really ached, not unlike the effects of Rebif. Day 4, unsightly rash and slight temp. Day 4 and 5 I've slept more.
    Overall I’m tired but not totally debilitated. I've felt / feel woozy and my eye sight has deteriorated sightly which worries me. I'm hoping its not a relapse but rather caused from being tired and pumped with drugs. Time will tell. No other MS symptoms have reared.

So, no regrets. Being chained to the drip was what I found the hardest. Spending a few days on a neurological ward has only reinforced my reasons for having this treatment. The staff were pleasant but a life in and out of hospital, being dependant, vulnerable and at the mercy of others is not the life for me.

Do you stay in the hospital for the 5 days during treatment or is it done outpatient?

Comment

IV Steroids make me feel bad for a few weeks. I could imagine you feel pretty beaten up right now. But I bet you are glad its over.
      Katie
      "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
      "My MS is a Journey for One."
      Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Did you have a friend stay with you the whole time or did they just drop you off?

Comment

I went as an inpatient due to it being a new treatment at my hospital. Next year I fully expect I will go as a day patient. I'm feeling pretty normal today . Fingers crossed it does its job and keeps me well for the foreseeable future.

Comment

I wish you well.

Comment

Its been 6 months now and doing well. Apart from recurrent uti's which are not thought to be MS related all is fine.

Comment

Thank you for sharing!! I'm looking forward to good results as well when I start in 2 weeks!

Comment

Update

I had my second course late last month. 3 days IV completed as an day patient.
                  I found the second course knocked me about more but I recovered quicker and went back to work as normal a week after treatment.
                  My MRI has come back showing no progression or changes to brain volume. It would have been nice to have my existing lesions looking smaller but I'll settle for no new ones.

All in all a good experience of both treatments.

Comment

Working...
                  X