Any weight gain or bloating on G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any weight gain or bloating on G

I've been on G for 2 months now. I feel pretty good, but I have put on weight and have had swelling and pressure in my abdomenal area. My Dr. doesn't think it's related. As a person who usually has trouble gaining weight, I'm wondering if others have had these side effects. I've had an ultrsound, scan to check my gall bladder and liver, and a CAT scan. Everything has checked out okay.

My bloating/swelling started about a week before I began G, but then got worse over about a month's time after I was on the med. G has helped me with my fatigue and strength which I really like. Thanks for any insight into my new problem.

WEIGHT GAIN ON G

I HAVE ACTUALLY LOST WEIGHT BUT I HAVE BEN WATCHING WHAT I EAT TRYING TO LOSE. I DO HAVE ALOT OF GAS THOUGH.

Comment

I gained about 10 pounds a month after starting G. I freaked out and asked a number of others I knew who were taking it, and many of them also reported weight gain. I suppose that's the price we pay for a once daily oral medication.

Comment

I have been experiencing weight gain and bloating whilst on gilenya, but also experienced it before starting.

However, since starting gilenya I have made healthy dieting choices but continue to put on weight. I have a huge appetite and eat too much food. I suspect gilenya may contribute to my weight gain and bloating, but I think if I just ate a little less I would have a much smaller problem.

Comment

My weight gain is just because I can't walk without difficulty, but I have noticed that my feet are more swollen--contributing to my walking difficulty.
          Dx 12/2006; first symptoms about 1984, but maybe earlier--on Gilenya and Ampyra.

"God has a lot of explaining to do"--Frida Kahlo

Comment

I have lost 21 pounds total on Gylenia. 57 pounds since going gluten free in August 2011.
            I eat healthy all day, 6 times a day. I even have my gluten free brownies after dinner or a cocoa bar.

Comment

I am suppose to start G in the next few weeks, with the new info coming out about the deaths and new monitoring guidelines, I'm very undecided. I know that weight gain isn't the most serious side effect but after being misdiagnosed for so many years and being on meds that caused me to gain 60 pounds,(I have now lost 40 of that but it took 2 years) I've worked so hard to get it off. Has the majority of people gained weight?

Comment

No weight gain for me...

I have always been a "chubby chick" and delt with weight problems since hitting puberty. I have lost it, gained it, lost it, gained it and so on. I've been on Gilenya since early February and haven't gained any additional weight.

Now when I was on steroids back in the early days, I could pack on 5 pounds a day, no matter what my diet was.

Hope this helps
                =^..^= Cat =^..^=

First Major MS Symptoms 2/25/06
                Official MS Diagnosis 4/13/06
                Bifer Babe, Copa Cutie, and finally a Gilenya Goddess

Comment

I have been on G for two month. I haven't had any weight gain, but I have had abdominal pressure and bloating. I find its better if I stay away from carbs, especially those with gluten. I do keep getting minor ear infections, but they go away in a few days. My biggest issue is I feel more fatigue since starting G. Some days its hard to stay awake.

Comment

Weight gain

Thanks for all of you that answered. It makes me feel better to know that this is a common side effect. I guess I'm going to have to watch what I eat more carefully. I think I'm getting stronger and less fatigued on G, so this is a side effect I can deal with.

Comment

Working...
                    X