Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Dairy bad for MS?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why is Dairy bad for MS?

    I have been struggling with being dairy-free so decided to to some research as to why it's sopposdly bad if you have MS. Here is what I learned-http://mswellnessproject.com/dairy-multiple-sclerosis-ditch-the-cheese-protect-your-brain/

    #2
    Welcome to MSWorld, Tracy. And thanks so much for your post!

    It is very relevant to me, right now, because I recently began seeing a doctor who specializes in functional medicine and clinical nutrition, much like Dr. Terry Wahls, who wrote the article that you posted. He is recommending a wheat-free / dairy-free / added-sugar-free diet. He has also done some extensive allergy / food sensitivity testing and has, at least for now, put me on many additional dietary restrictions.

    My doctor's quote is: "Dairy is the devil!" He believes that no one should consume dairy, and that cow's breast milk was intended for baby calves, not for humans.

    For those who are curious about the article, here are some points in it, that might peak your interest to click on Tracy's link and read more:

    1. Itís not a necessary component of a healthy diet.
    2. Digestion of milk proteins can produce compounds that are toxic to brain cells.
    3. It could make you age faster and even cause cancer.
    4. It could cause inflammation that wreaks all kinds of health havoc.
    5. In an epidemiological study across 27 countries consuming more milk was linked to higher rates of multiple sclerosis.

    Also, this statement from the article particularly interested me:
    While 90 percent of those who have been sensitized to gluten do not have diarrhea or any abdominal complaints whatsoever, they may have underlying neurological, psychological, skin-related or other symptoms that resolve when they adopt a gluten-free diet.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

    Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
    .

    - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

    Comment


      #3
      Aren't humans the only creatures to drink milk beyond infantcy?
      The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TraciThau View Post
        I have been struggling with being dairy-free so decided to to some research as to why it's sopposdly bad if you have MS. Here is what I learned-http://mswellnessproject.com/dairy-multiple-sclerosis-ditch-the-cheese-protect-your-brain/
        Since my last relapse Iíve given up dairy and chronic headaches have almost vanished. My body reacts to dairy by creating a lot of mucus, a telltale sign of inflammation and some kind of auto-immune reaction, which I think means it could be a factor in my MS.

        But not everyone has the above extreme reaction. Might dairy and gluten problems point to the micro-biome and/or individual genetics? Here is one thought-provoking article about how different groupsí genomes have evolved to tolerate different foods. It will be interesting to see how such studies look at many different groups throughout the world in addition to northern europeans.

        https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...and-years-ago/
        All the best, ~G

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by gargantua View Post
          Since my last relapse Iíve given up dairy and chronic headaches have almost vanished. My body reacts to dairy by creating a lot of mucus, a telltale sign of inflammation and some kind of auto-immune reaction, which I think means it could be a factor in my MS.

          But not everyone has the above extreme reaction. Might dairy and gluten problems point to the micro-biome and/or individual genetics? Here is one thought-provoking article about how different groupsí genomes have evolved to tolerate different foods. It will be interesting to see how such studies look at many different groups throughout the world in addition to northern europeans.

          https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...and-years-ago/
          gargantua

          Thank you for the informative article.

          If I understand it correctly, human groups have evolved over time, (through dietary gene mutations) to be able to tolerate and eat specific foods that had been introduced in their regions.

          That makes sense, and would explain why some people can tolerate dairy, whole wheat, etc. while others have sensitivity toward certain foods.

          It's very interesting that so much comes down to our genetic make up, including the predisposition for certain diseases.

          Take Care
          PPMS for 22 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

          Comment


            #6
            Dairy

            Dairy was my one thing that was holding me back from starting the Whal Protocol years ago.

            Then about a year and a half ago, I developed some GI issues and decided to give up dairy.

            It has been the best 1 1/2 years of my MS.

            I then incorporated more of the elimination diet and has been doing fairly well with the rest of my health systems of my body.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
              Aren't humans the only creatures to drink milk beyond infantcy?
              And the only adults who consume the breast milk of another mammal?
              ~ Faith
              MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
              (now a Mimibug)

              Symptoms began in JAN02
              - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
              - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
              .

              - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
              - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                And the only adults who consume the breast milk of another mammal?
                That is so thought provoking in this context.
                All the best, ~G

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by gargantua View Post
                  That is so thought provoking in this context.
                  lol. Makes an interesting visual pic in my imagination.
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

                  Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
                  .

                  - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                    lol. Makes an interesting visual pic in my imagination.
                    That too!
                    All the best, ~G

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Glad you found my post useful!

                      Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                      Welcome to MSWorld, Tracy. And thanks so much for your post!

                      It is very relevant to me, right now, because I recently began seeing a doctor who specializes in functional medicine and clinical nutrition, much like Dr. Terry Wahls, who wrote the article that you posted. He is recommending a wheat-free / dairy-free / added-sugar-free diet. He has also done some extensive allergy / food sensitivity testing and has, at least for now, put me on many additional dietary restrictions.

                      My doctor's quote is: "Dairy is the devil!" He believes that no one should consume dairy, and that cow's breast milk was intended for baby calves, not for humans.

                      For those who are curious about the article, here are some points in it, that might peak your interest to click on Tracy's link and read more:

                      1. Itís not a necessary component of a healthy diet.
                      2. Digestion of milk proteins can produce compounds that are toxic to brain cells.
                      3. It could make you age faster and even cause cancer.
                      4. It could cause inflammation that wreaks all kinds of health havoc.
                      5. In an epidemiological study across 27 countries consuming more milk was linked to higher rates of multiple sclerosis.

                      Also, this statement from the article particularly interested me:
                      Hello! I'm happy to be here! I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to respond. This looks like the wrong place? I also had food sensitivity testing to see what foods could potentially trigger the immune system. MRT testing. I was surprised what I reacted to, mostly healthy foods that I ate all the time.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by MakOP View Post
                        Dairy was my one thing that was holding me back from starting the Whal Protocol years ago.

                        Then about a year and a half ago, I developed some GI issues and decided to give up dairy.

                        It has been the best 1 1/2 years of my MS.

                        I then incorporated more of the elimination diet and has been doing fairly well with the rest of my health systems of my body.
                        That's fantastic! I need to do the elimination diet again and get serious about nightshades.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
                          Aren't humans the only creatures to drink milk beyond infantcy?
                          Yes! I never really thought about it before but now I have to wonder why?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by TraciThau View Post
                            Hello! I'm happy to be here! I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to respond. This looks like the wrong place? I also had food sensitivity testing to see what foods could potentially trigger the immune system. MRT testing. I was surprised what I reacted to, mostly healthy foods that I ate all the time.
                            This is the right place to respond. All replies to a thread just go under the same thread, in the chronological order posted. There isn't a way to respond, individually, to separate posts.

                            Yeah; me too. About sensitivities to healthy foods. The way my functional medicine doc explained it was that my immune system was misidentifying foods as viruses and attacking. (I guess that's the auto-immune piece of what's going on with our MS.) After 9-12 months of adhering to this restrictive diet, he plans to re-test me and expects that many of the foods that I am currently sensitive to will fall off the list.

                            You can read more about my food sensitivity journey hereif you're interested: https://www.msworld.org/forum/showth...ree-sugar-free
                            ~ Faith
                            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                            (now a Mimibug)

                            Symptoms began in JAN02
                            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08
                            .

                            - Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X