Nails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nails?

Thanks to a Living Social deal I got a mani/pedi last week. The pedicurist noticed I have a toe nail that is getting quite a bit thicker & another that has white spots that extend below the surface. She told me these issues are most commonly caused by meds.

Anybody else notices changes in their nails after being on B for a length of time? B is the only med I take on a regular basis.

It's not bothersome, just curious ...
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Interesting! I wasn't on Beta, but on Avonex for many years back when I was first dx. After a few months I noticed toe nail changes (thicker, which later developed into a fungus) and called the Avonex rep and the pharmacist about it. They had never heard a report of any such thing, nor had my neuro. My pcp suggested that I could use one of those meds (can't remember the name) that are hard on your liver over time, but couldn't do it b/c of the interferon!

So by the time I went off A, the fungus had developed to the point of no return....really bad - with a couple nails falling off

Still have the fungus after 13 years and it's there to stay. I've tried all alternatives. Hope yours isn't a fungus. It's embarrassing and no fun!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

toenail issues

i started having major issues with my toenails a few months after starting betaseron. it's mostly my big toenails that have the problem. they completely stopped growing for about a year (but were actually growing other layers or something of that sort underneath). i ended up with the area around the base of my nails (by the cuticles) getting really red, painful and infected looking. after antibiotics, that part got better, but the nails were growing in these really thick layers. they would look like they were growing out normally but then after about 1/4 inch, another layer would start. i had them tested by a podiatrist and they were completely clear of fungus. the dr said it was probably due to illness and estimated the time of the possible illness (just happened to be around the time i started betaseron).

well, i stopped taking betaseron a few months ago (many other issues besides the nails) and my toenails are finally growing back normally. i've been able to cut off about 3 layers already and it looks like maybe one or two more layers to go. yeah, it's nasty looking and uncomfortable where the multiple layers are pushing into the skin on the sides. so i'm very grateful that i seem to have found the solution. i'm hoping my neuro will switch me to a different med.

also since stopping the betaseron i've had tons more energy, no longer have the urinary urgency (which also allowed me to stop vesicare), my blood pressure is going back to normal (also stopped that medication), and my hair isn't falling out as much as it had been. now if i could just start losing weight (i've gained about 50 lbs since starting it).

not saying it causes all these problems for everyone else, but i was very skeptical when people kept telling me that none of my problems were related to the betaseron. my body apparently does not react well to it.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks all for sharing.

I've had the white marks, ultra slow growing, and layering thing going on with my big toe nails as well. I was on Lamisil, but it didn't help. Now that I think of it, my dr never tested for a fungus.

This has been going on for a few years. I've been on Copaxone, Gilenya, and Tysabri (besides nothing for several months) during this time. It finally looks like my nail is growing out normal, knock on wood.

Maybe that means the Ty is slowing my disease? Far reaching correlation, I know, but can't hurt to hope.
        Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Me too!

Quite interesting, me too!! I've been on Beta since last August, and early last winter my big toe nail started looking thicker, and turned white over half of it (not the nail growing out, but under the flesh part of the nail).

Then I woke up one morning with a red streak running up my toe, then later up my foot, and it hurt on the edge (the edge where the white was), like an ingrown toenail would with an infection. I soaked it in warm salt water a few times and it got better, but the nail is still funky. Never thought it could be the Betasaron, but looks like that may be it!
          Donna K: dx RRMS 12/07. Rebif 2/08 - 3/09, Tysabri 3/09 - 7/12, ended due to JCV+. Betasaron 8/12 - present
          Filed for SSDI 8/12. Approved 11/12
          dx PPMS 7/13. Added Metotrexate 2.5 mgx3 to Beteseron. Stopped all meds 3/14 to quality for ibudilast clinical trial for PPMS

Comment

mine too!!

Comment

I've been on Beta for almost five years now.

No effects on nails, that isn't how (or where) Beta works.

Its possible its another serious disease- growing older. Lots of things began to change for me after I hit 40. Check with your GP Dr. to make sure it isn't a fungus.

Comment

I was on beta for five months about a year and a half ago. I just couldn't tolerate it, I was so sick the whole time.

I developed a toe fungus on my left toe while taking it in that short time. It had to be from that because I have never had it before. I suspected that it was from the Beta but I also know that sometimes people can just get a toe fungus.

I think this pretty much confirms to me that it was probably the beta.

Comment

Working...
                X