Beta Concerns: Weight Gain and Depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta Concerns: Weight Gain and Depression

My doctor wants me to serioiusly consider making the switch to Betaseron. Im still researching, but can anyone let me know if they gained weight on Beta? I'd also like to know if anyone had to take anti-depressants straight away? How about the flu like symptoms - is that something that goes away once my body gets used to it? Im a little scared, Ive only done Copaxone before, and while my Brain is stable, patches have started to develop in my neck - thus the change. Any information you can give me will be appreciated.

As you know we all have different experiences, but here's mine:

1. I had the unusual side-effect of increased appetite when I started Beta. If appetite is affected at all people usually lose it. This only last about 3 mos for me and I very closely monitored what I ate so I gained <10lbs.

2. I've suffered from depression for many years but Beta has not increased my depression. I don't take any meds for it.

3. Flu-like sx are not a guaranteed side-effect. I braced myself for that when I started Beta but it never happened, not even when I forgot to pre-medicate. Just do what the Beta nurse tells you to do to lessen the flu sx.

For me, the injection-site reactions were the worst side effect. The quarter sized red spots on my thighs would last weeks so I gave up that injection site rotation. Also quit using my arms - hurt too much.

The Beta nurses are pretty wonderful, don't hesitate to call them with questions.
    DX 10/2008
    Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
    Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
    Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Making the switch

I too have concerns about switching. However, I am in the process of doing so. Have only been on Copaxone, started it in 1999. Signed the papers for Betaseron last week but haven't heard from the nurse about training yet. I've been having issues since last year, went on a drug "holiday" with the Copaxone for a while and should not have done that.

Anyway, went back on it. Have added active lesions in brain, cervical and thoracic. For years only had lesions on the brain. Copaxone worked for a long time. Hate to have to leave it as I still consider it to be the lesser of the evils. Keep researching, it really took me a while to come to this decision as I am a big researcher. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Comment

The last thing I did was gain weight. I went thru four months of "the flu" when I started and I was only eating cashews and cheezits, about a handful of each per day. No real appetite at all.
        No issues with depression, I just felt sick but I still could get around. You can knock down a lot of "the flu" by just taking what you'd normally take for a real flu (it kind of stinks and gets old after a while but its not like its in the "rush me to the hospital" category).

It looks like you're concentrating on the worst possible side effects. The truth is that some people will experience some or all of them but many had minimal to no side effects at all.

Don't talk yourself into something you might not experience. Its like asking about the best way to survive sharks in the open ocean before you take your first cruise on a boat.

Comment

In my case , I was in such bad shape for so long before taking any meds including Betaseron. I noticed no effects from Betaseron. However , I only inject the upper back of arms due to pain if I go lower. After a year of Beta I am doing better regardless of relevance to Beta.

Comment

I've been taking Beta for 6 months now. I have not gained any weight, but I also switched to a paleo diet right before I started taking the stuff, so I did lose some weight. I've had no issues with depression.
            I stick myself right before bed. If I stay up too much longer, I get some pretty gnarly side-effects- headache, aches, chills, etc. I get site reactions- soreness and bruises that turn into red patches that last for weeks.
            The beta nurse folks are friendly and helpful.

Comment

Thank You!

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I appreciate it.
              I wish you best and hope all goes well, Lovetogo

Bob, it's not that Im concentrating on the worst things, some people might consider the injection site reactions to be the worst, but weight gain and depression are things that have affected my own life so Im very curious, I guess in the end theyre all just reactions. Even in this thread the reactions to the meds have been different, so I guess I won't really know beta's effrcts on me until I take them myself. I appreciate knowing the experiences of others though. I prefer to know what "might" happen. Sometimes you just can not avoid being blindsided by side effects, learning to roll with the punches.

Comment

I was on Avonex then Rebif. While on Rebif I had the worst exacerbation I've had to date. It was a little over 4 years ago. I was taken off the Rebif , it wasn't working for me. In trying to get through that exacerbation I did the IV solumedrol .
                I was in the hospital and my neuro came in on his rounds. I told him that I didn't know what else to do other than try Betaseron. I didn't want to do Novantrone and I just feel the interferons are a little more aggressive(), so I wanted to stay with an interferon.

He said we could do anything I wanted so he set everything up with Beta. I think we waited a month after stopping the Rebif to start the Beta.

I started the Beta and within 2 months I had recovered a lot of what I had lost. I went from wheelchair back to cane and so on. Please understand that I'm not calling Beta a wonder drug, it just seemed to work for me at that time. Maybe I would recover things without any of the MS treatments......don't know That was 4+ years ago and I'm still injecting the Beta.

About a year and a half ago we added Methotrexate to the mix. I believe MS activity has been slowed down a bit but I do feel that things are starting to act up a bit. It's REAL IMPORTANT to make it clear that EVERYONE is different and this is only my experiance.

I can’t say if Beta causes weight gain because I’m on different meds that may have caused any weight gain I’ve had. It would be hard to tell how much would be from Betaseron.

I was on anti-depressant before the Betaseron. I’ve always had depression so I have to stay on top of things. I do believe the interferons can cause depression. That’s an individual thing so you would just have to watch it and make that call.

I take a Naprosyn on shot nights so I feel that the flu side effect is avoided. On shot days drink lots of water, seems to help. Also be sure to have your blood tested to monitor liver function. I’m sure your neuro would be on top of that.
                Sorry for the long post .

David

Comment

I've been on Betaferon (Australian) for five years. I didn't have depression or weight gain. I did have flu like symptoms after each injection (only lasted a couple of hours) but they disappeared after a couple of months. I inject legs, butt, and stomach and still get some injection blotches but they just make it easier to see where I have already injected. I was using the autoject but they changed the model here and I didn't like the new model so now I inject manually and it is way better.
                  "The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days".
                  - Robert Leighton (1611-1684)

Comment

No weight gain for me. Had generally mild flu-like symptoms for a few months and sometimes get red spots at the injection site, but not always, and mainly in the thighs. But, I have stopped due to the studies that show it does not decrease the time to disability. It might help avoid a few exacerbations along the way, but if it doesn't increase the time before becoming disabled, why put up with the fuss and cost? But, that is a personal choice. I hope BG-12 comes out soon, as that appears to be something that may actually work.

Comment

Working...
                    X