Does Avonex make me Immune-Suppressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Avonex make me Immune-Suppressed?

I would like to get "in-line for the Covid vaccine" and I know states determine eligiblity. I'm in Pennsylvania and will be just turning age 54, so group "1A" was immune suppressed but Avonex is immune-modgulating? I am over age 50 as some states are opening guidelines, but it's confusing and difficult for me to get any answers.

Who here has gotten the vaccine? Age? Medicine? Would age 54, MS & Avonex make me eligible? Everyone is moving up (teachers, grocery-store workers, etc., my brother (who is in Florida) insists that I should be eligible, but I think I may have to wait until Pennsylvania goes GENERAL POPULATION?

Does anyone here know what hoops I should be jumping through to get in-line for my turn? Thanks for your assistance. This is stressful!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Avonex does not suppress the immune system, so won't increase your risk for severe illness. MS isn't considered an increased risk, unless it is advanced MS with a higher EDDS score.

https://www.nationalmssociety.org/co...ng-coronavirus

Get information on your risk of contracting the coronavirus while living with Mutltiple sclerosis | National MS Society | National Multiple Sclerosis Society

Here are pre existing that would put at an increased risk for severe illness

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...n%20transplant.

Michigan has opened up to residents who are 50 years old and older. Next will be all residents 16 and older. So depending on what your state does, you might have to wait until eligibility opens up for all adults. Hopefully, that won't be too long!

I do understand your frustrations, though. I fall into the group with pre existing health conditions that put me at increased risk for severe illness. Just didn't seem right some people were able to get the vaccine before I could.

I became eligible a few weeks ago, but am on Ocrevus. Still waiting a few more weeks because of timing of my last infusion. I do have an appointment scheduled on April 9.

Once you become eligible, I suggest you 1) sign up wherever you can and 2) keep checking for available appointments. New ones pop up randomly.

Best of luck
    Last edited by KoKo; 03-27-2021, 05:00 AM.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Hi dm0329.

I am also in PA, 57 with MS, and on Tysabri. Totally agree PA is confusing. State guidelines:

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/dis...s/Vaccine.aspx

I was told by my neuro that since none of the other 1A criteria apply, that I should follow the state guidelines. He cited what Kimba said above, that MS did not put me at higher risk of severe covid infection and Tysabri, is not a true immunosuppressant med. His OCREVUS and Lemtrada patients, were part of 1A.

He was more concerned about potential MS worsening following an infection and/or neurological symptoms of long tail covid symptoms some people experience complicating treating underlying MS. So that being said, he said to get it the first chance I had.

He also stressed everyone should be having an individual conversation with their neuro since guidelines are just that. He felt there could be multiple things in a person's medical history that alone, may not warrant priority, but together, may. So if you haven't discussed already, it wouldn't hurt to call your neuro's office for an opinion.

It is infuriating at times, as I know people who lied about being a smoker or having another condition. And since you don't need a doctor's note, noone checks. I think they are the exception, but it makes you wonder. Also people who drove to rural areas who had the vaccine, but since open appointments, they took advantage of it.

Also confusing, some companies and municipalities have been able to get vaccine, basically moving into 1b, but 1a hasn't been completed.
      ​​​​​
      Both my husband and I did luck into a vaccine though. We volunteer at our church's food pantry and community outreach program to those in need, dealing with people face to face. They were going to have a small number of clergy vaccine leftover from our region, so they offered it to us. Clergy per the state is 1b. But it was offered, so we took it.

​​​​​Hoping that once more vaccine is available starting first full week in April, things really start to move. Good luck to you.

Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I am 70. I stopped my Avonex weekly shot in July 2020 after discussing with neurologist. He was in agreement, so based on his information, and my research on Avonex after age 60, no more avonex for me...yay.

I contacted the neurologist again in early January to see if I could get the Covid vaccine. He said yes, no problem. I will receive my 2nd vaccine shot in 2 weeks.

Comment

Just heard that the US govt has said that 90% of Americans will be eligible to get a vaccine by 4/19 within 5 miles of their home. Here is hoping that ambitious goal is met.
          Last edited by pennstater; 03-29-2021, 04:06 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify eligibility by 4/19, not necessarily delivered by 4/19.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Working...
          X