Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing Out Period?

Hi All,

I will be celebrating ish my 55th birthday on March 29. I will be celebrating ish my 28th dx anniversary and then my 25th anniversary of starting Avonex as my DMT tx.

I've been experiencing needle fatigue big time. My MRIs have been stable the last 17 years; but I have tons of black holes and lesions. But, I've been faithful to my long-time partner, Avonex.

I'm thinking of starting Aubagio (age 55-age 60) and then stopping ALL DMT's. Is there any protocols for starting Aubagio? Switching from Avonex to it?

Thanks, in advance, for your feedback.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Originally posted by dm0329
    Is there any protocols for starting Aubagio?
    Found in Full Prescribing Information for Aubagio ~

Monitoring to Assess Safety

• Obtain transaminase and bilirubin levels within 6 months before initiation of AUBAGIO therapy. Monitor ALT levels at least monthly for six months after starting AUBAGIO.

• Obtain a complete blood cell count (CBC) within 6 months before the initiation of treatment with AUBAGIO. Further monitoring should be based on signs and symptoms of infection.

• Prior to initiating AUBAGIO, screen patients for latent tuberculosis infection with a tuberculin skin test or blood test for mycobacterium tuberculosis infection.

• Exclude pregnancy prior to initiation of treatment with AUBAGIO in females of reproductive potential.

• Check blood pressure before start of AUBAGIO treatment and periodically thereafter.

Scroll down to FULL PRESCRIBING INFORMATION, under 2 DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION to read here https://products.sanofi.us/Aubagio/a...html#section-5

Originally posted by dm0329
    Switching from Avonex to it?
    Years ago, neuros would wait 1 month after stopping interferons before starting patient's on another DMT. I don't think that's changed, but the decision would be up to your neurologist.

Since there are other tests you'll need done first, you'll have more than enough time to discontinue Avonex before starting Aubagio.

Have you discussed changing DMTs with your neurologist? Aubagio is also considered a first line drug. Depending on how you are doing, he/she may want you to consider another one.

Best of luck! Please keep us updated.
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

I was prescribed Aubagio right when it first came out and I don't remember specific tests. After I started taking it I had a blood test every month. I was on Aubagio for many years and was stable and at an age where it seemed I would be OK to stop it. I did and I have been stable every since.

While I was on Aubagio I didn't have any bad side effects.

Comment

Working...
      X