Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Vision (diplopia) and Relief with Prednasone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Vision (diplopia) and Relief with Prednasone?

About 4 months ago now, I started experiencing constant double vision. After a lot of testing, my brain MRI came back with results "typical of MS" and the neurologist prescribed me 1250mg oral dose of Prednasone to be taken every other day for 5 days. Tomorrow will be day 4 of the medication and I haven't noticed any difference...I'm still waiting for a call from the MS Clinic, but I'm wondering if anyone had something similar, and how long it took for the diplopia to resolve? Thanks so much for your feedback! This is all very new to me!

Originally posted by BeBrave93 View Post
    About 4 months ago now, I started experiencing constant double vision. After a lot of testing, my brain MRI came back with results "typical of MS" and the neurologist prescribed me 1250mg oral dose of Prednasone to be taken every other day for 5 days. Tomorrow will be day 4 of the medication and I haven't noticed any difference...I'm still waiting for a call from the MS Clinic, but I'm wondering if anyone had something similar, and how long it took for the diplopia to resolve? Thanks so much for your feedback! This is all very new to me!
    I have double vision, that's related to my MS (lesion in medulla).

I use prisms in my glasses, and for the most part the double vision is corrected. When I first
    started getting prisms, the prisms in the glasses succeeded in correcting the problem with both
    near and far vision. Now I need two pair of glasses. One corrects the diplopia in the distance,
    and the other pair corrects it for near vision. I was never given meds for the double vision.

If I don't have my glasses on, I immediately experience the diplopia. In time I've sort of
    gotten used to the diplopia and can go without glasses when watching tv, etc...but it can cause real trouble if you're trying to fill out a form or sign a document on a certain line because I see two lines, so I'm never quite sure which is the real line, I'm thankful that the prisms correct the problem.

Check with your ophthalmologist and see about the possibility of getting prisms to correct the
    double vision.

Comment

Hi BeBrave,

Although steroids can be tried and sometimes can help, it can be hit or miss with double vision.

I developed double vision in my left eye in 2014. I was diagnosed by a Neuro-Ophthalmologist with Internuclear ophthalmoplegia (INO) due to MS. I never had steroids. My double vision was only noticeable when looking to the far right and over time has improved, or my eyes have adjusted

I did have a prism put in the right lens and it seemed to help for awhile but then it just bothered me. I no longer use prisms. I only have one muscle effected in the left eye.

Best wishes on your up coming Neurology Appointment
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi,
        I also had the oral steroid taper pack for diplopia when I was first diagnosed. Like with most things MS it is difficult to know 100% if they helped or not but after about 5 days the double vision/nystagmus subsided.

My vision did not return to the same but I'd estimate probably at 90-95% of my previous abilities. Its not double vision but just weird, a little off. For those of you of a certain age, lol, who have tried progressive lenses its similar. I have to look at things straight on for the best view, my peripheral vision is lacking, low light vision horrid and I often feel a slight sensation as if my eyes have a film on them. My eye exams come back unremarkable so I just get new glasses every couple of years and thats that.
        I hope yours get better soon.
        He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
        Anonymous

Comment

Working...
        X