Acupuncture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acupuncture

I feel like I got to the desperate phase in looking for some relief for my dizziness. I ended up going to a "quack" who claimed to have a machine to help. I won't go into the details but after hearing his explanation and seeing the cost I left and though I felt foolish I am glad I didn't fall for it.

I had acupuncture in the past after surgery for the pain as I can't take strong pain meds. It worked great! I was just referred to an excellent acupuncturist and had my first session yesterday. I didn't notice much improvement in the dizziness but while shopping later, I laid down my cane to look at some clothes and proceeded to walk around the store without it. I didn't realize I had left it but when I did I was amazed that my walking, especially in a store, was so much easier.

I am hopeful that further sessions will continue to improve the dizziness or at least my ability to walk.

Has anyone else had success with acupuncture?

I used acupuncture 4-6 times, mostly just to see if, in general, it improved my MS symptoms. I intended to continue going once or twice a month, but I haven't been as regular as I wanted to be.

It seemed to help my GERD (acid reflux) nighttime symptoms noticeably. The other improvement I requested was more energy. She said that takes a long time to improve that. She suggested it usually takes one month of regular (weekly or every other week) treatment for as many months as years you've had the problem. (For example, I've had MS for 15 years, so it could take 15 months to see improvement.

She is also certified in kinesiology, so I've done that twice.

I should probably go back for both. Might just help for general health and prevention of additional symptoms and delay of progression; I don't know.

I'll be interested in following this thread to hear what others say.

Hope it can help your dizziness. It's amazing how they know what "points" to stick their little needles in to get results.

Regarding dizziness, I often suggest a physical therapist -- one who has knowledge or experience in vestibular therapy. In 2002, the year my MS began, I had a serious, extreme case of dizziness and a PT was able to give me exercises that helped to re-train my brain to tolerate the movements that triggered it. Prior to that, my dizziness had been so extreme that it was disabling.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I have had great success with acupuncture. I started going in November to see if it helped correct severe pronation on my weak right leg. It did! Recently I realized it also eliminated the pain I was experiencing in my right knee after a diagnosis of osteoarthritis a couple years ago. I'm sold and go every two weeks for a "tuneup". Best $55 I've spent!

Comment

Working...
      X