Modafinil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modafinil

My insurance company has denied approval for modafinil for my fatigue. I have tried other medications; they have not been effective. Insurance company says coverage is denied as I do not have a diagnosis of narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea/hypopnea syndrome or shift work sleep disorder. (I was on provigil a few years back - same insurance company covered it then but I couldn't afford the cost after a while.)
    Has anyone been able to successfully appeal a decision to deny modafinil?

Your physician will have to request off-label use for the medication and send it to your insurance company. It shouldn't be that big of a deal ... I hope it turns out well for you.

Comment

If you have a prescription for modafinil you can get it filled offshore at one of the internet pharmacies. The FDA allows patients to import a 90 day supply of their own medicine for which they have a prescription. Please Google the topic if you doubt what I'm saying is accurate. Do a little research.

Sun Pharmaceuticals in India makes Modalert which is modafinil. Continue to use any prescription under your doctor's direction. I just checked one online pharmacy; they have 90 tabs of 100mg modafinil for $200. Probably more than if your insurance helped but at least it comes from one of the large state-of-the-art pharmas in India individually packaged in foil strips.

Months ago I posted about a discussion with my doctor concerning India pharmacies. She sternly warned me about media stories (planted by big pharma I suspect) representing India pharmacies as "dangerous".

I went home and looked at a drug that very doctor had prescribed for me. The label says mfg by "Ranbaxy". Ranbaxy is located in India. The very thing she warned me about was exactly where the drug she prescribed came from! Odd she was never concerned before about India meds!

People should look at the manufacturer on their prescription labels; it is always on the label. CVS, Walgreen, Rite AID, Walmart or any pharmacy can import from India and sell to you. But if you buy it from there, suddenly it becomes "dangerous" what a joke. It is nonsense perpetuated by pharmas and ignorant, fearful people.

The FDA inspects India's manufacturers otherwise CVS and all the rest could not import and sell those drugs in the US.
      We have no more assurance of drug quality from US mfg versus India mfg; both are FDA inspected. Yes, the FDA goes overseas and approves facilities. Sun has FDA approved facilities in India and the US. There is one about 30 miles from where I live.

Good luck!

Comment

Concerning overseas purchases...

Credit card information can be stolen if you use your card for offshore purchases. There are a number of safer alternatives... using paypal type services, or a written check from a dedicated account in which you keep a very small balance, or buying a gift card and registering it for international use by calling the phone number on the card itself and registering it for international use. But work those details out with whoever you buy from. But don't put your cc info out there for thieves to grab. JMHO.

Comment

Working...
        X