Bowel problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowel problems

My mom has had MS for almost 40 years. She is having some new issues since she was hospitalized. She used to take 7 Senekot tablets and about 18-20 ounces of prune juice at 8:15pm and then go to bed around 9:00, sleep for a couple of hours and wake up with gurgling in her stomach that let her know that she had to go.

That has worked for years and she goes soft since she doesn't have to muscle strength to push. Since she got the UTI she was in the hospital and now in a Skilled Nursing facility, she has stopped almost all except a couple of Senekot but she still goes very loose but she can no longer feel when she needs to go and it just comes out either in bed or in the adult diaper.

She is afraid that when she gets home she will never be able to go out because of the mess this will be. Does anyone have any suggestions of what might help her? She is mostly in a wheelchair and can only walk a few steps with a walker which makes a problem if this keeps happening without warning so she can get to a toilet. Thank you. I'm Joanne her daughter.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Taking 7 tablets of anything a day sounds like over-kill.
    You didn't post much in terms of details (other meds, etc.) so I can't be too specific.

One problem with any laxative is over-dependance. Has your mother talked to a Dr. about over-all health and diet issues? A little mobility can also go a long way. Any kind of movement of the torso should pay off in terms of being regular.

Comment

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's dilemma. Does your mom have a Gastroenterologist? There are some new meds out now that she may benefit from. My mom had/has issues with unpredictable diarrhea episodes, she was prescribed Nortriptyline (?) for bowel control, and it has worked wonders. She too was to the point that she was refusing to leave the house for fear of an "episode". Seems that if she did leave, sure as you know what, she'd have a blow-out. I would highly recommend a trip to the doc for some input.
      Good Luck!
      =^..^= Cat =^..^=

First Major MS Symptoms 2/25/06
      Official MS Diagnosis 4/13/06
      Bifer Babe, Copa Cutie, and finally a Gilenya Goddess

Comment

Working...
      X