Just a heads up: amitriptyline and swallowing problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a heads up: amitriptyline and swallowing problems

I had been happily on amitriptyline for a couple of months. I started to have problems swallowing that were escalating. Finally realized that my gag reflex had disappeared completely. My family doctor was all set to refer me to an ENT, but I asked him to hold off and tapered off the amitriptyline.

A friend did some research and found that it is prescribed to people with overactive gag reflexes in order to help them to eat. Who knew?!?

It was awful -- food would get stuck part way down, and I would swallow repeatedly and nothing would happen (even with water). Foods like watermelon, that you wouldn't think would be a problem, or cookies, meat, sandwiches, oranges ... you name it. I was also coughing while drinking. I also realized that I was unable to hold food in my mouth for chewing -- it would slip down my throat before it was ready, which probably contributed to the problem.

Gag reflex has partially returned three days after taper done, and swallowing issues have ceased. I'm just so grateful it's caused by the ami and isn't yet another weird random ms-y symptom!
Working...
X