Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone experience this with Amantadine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone experience this with Amantadine?

My friend has been taking Amantadine for the past week. She's been taking it at about 8 AM. She feels no effect the whole day long, but at about 8 PM it seems to suddenly kick in. Then, of course, she can't fall asleep or if she does, she can't stay asleep more than 3-4 hours a night. She is basically a walking zombie from lack of sleep added to MS fatigue.

Has this happened to anybody? Has anybody taken Amantadine in the evening to avoid this effect and to have it kick in the next morning? What do you think of that idea (taking it at night to have the effect the next day)?

Amantadine didn't work for me so I can't say how long it takes to kick in. But I think your friend's experience is already showing that it takes about 12 hours. So I think it makes sense to try taking it at night and see if it waits until morning to kick in so she might get some sleep. Its worth a try because it doesn't seem like it could be worse than it already is and might get better on a different schedule.

Comment

I agree with MSer102. Your friend wouldn't be out anything trying to change when she takes it.

Amantidine didn't work for me either but if it is helping her then play with the dosage time and have her do what works for her.

Comment

Thanks, I'll tell her that. Meanwhile, she's having a lot of difficulty.

Comment

Amantidine didn't work for me either. And I still haven't found any other pills that help. What are the other people taking who found Amantidine not to work? I need help.

Comment

After the Amantidine, my doc tried Provigil (after a decent fight with the insurance company). Also a no go. It lifted the "fog" a bit but wasn't worth the daily headaches that led to a massive migraine at one week of taking it.

My neuro said that there really isn't anything else for MS fatigue. *sigh*

Comment

I'm sort of like that. when I take it for a few days in a row, I find myself being awake or no reason in the middle of the night.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgirl View Post
                After the Amantidine, my doc tried Provigil (after a decent fight with the insurance company). Also a no go. It lifted the "fog" a bit but wasn't worth the daily headaches that led to a massive migraine at one week of taking it.

My neuro said that there really isn't anything else for MS fatigue. *sigh*
                Ritalin is pretty good.

Comment

I am taking amantadine at what time at night should i take it?

Originally posted by BigA View Post
                  Ritalin is pretty good.
                  i tried to call and ask my
                  pharmacist what time i should be taking it at night i am suppose to be taking it 100 mg twice a day but i get up every morning and take just one at 7:30 along with my provigal for my ms tiredness they put me on hold for over 20 mins so i am going to be calling back later when should be be taking my second amanadine does anyone know? it cant be too close to bed time or i probably wont sleep and there are times when i have insomina
                  thanks
                  agentonline

Comment

Ritalin

I have been taking Ritalin for several months. I take 1 10mg tablet at 9:00 in the morning, and another 10mg tablet at 1:00pm. For me, it helps with fatigue and cognitive issues.

I do sometimes get a mild headache in the late afternoon, but it doesn't last long and it's not bothersome enough to treat.

The only other side effect I have noticed is the lack of appetite during the day. However, I am hungry in the morning which is unusual for me. Even as a child I didn't like to eat until noon or so. So now, I eat a healthy breakfast and I think that also helps with fatigue and cognitive issues. I stick with something light for lunch, like fruit, yogurt, and veggies. And my evening meal is whatever sounds good at the moment.

I have noticed over time that when I eat a larger meal, my gait gets more out of whack than normal. So all-in-all, the decrease in appetite, the decrease in fatigue, and decrease in cog fog with Ritalin has been helping me.

But as usual with MS, we are all different and respond differently to treatments.
                    Echo
                    DX 2007 Started Ocrevus on 2/14/2018

"Some where over the rainbow...."

Comment

My Neuro wanted to give me Provigil, but the good folks at the insurance company know best & insisted I have Amantidine (sigh). I tried, hoping I'd get some relief, but honestly felt like it was a waste of my time. Until I tried to sleep at night, then I was wide awake. I stopped because it just didn't help.

I wish I'd have thought to try taking it at night for a morning kick-in. It'd be nice to see if it works for your friend, I still have an almost full bottle.
                      "Hope for the best and plan for the worst. That way, all your surprises will be pleasant."
                      Verin Mathwin, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Comment

The combination of two inexpensive supplements, Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyl L Carnitine was shown in clinical trial more effective at reducing MS-related fatigue than Amantadine.

Take 300mg Alpha Lipoic Acid with each meal, 500mg Acetyl L Carnitine, as well as 600mg Malic Acid, and you can drop the drugs. Malic Acid was effective in clinical trials for Chronic Fatigue.

Malic Acid is good for skin health. Alpha Lipoic Acid fights cancer cell proliferation. Acetyl L Carnitine improves neuron transmission.

I take them all every day and am never tired or fatigued.

Comment

Originally posted by agentonline82 View Post
                          i tried to call and ask my
                          pharmacist what time i should be taking it at night i am suppose to be taking it 100 mg twice a day but i get up every morning and take just one at 7:30 along with my provigal for my ms tiredness they put me on hold for over 20 mins so i am going to be calling back later when should be be taking my second amanadine does anyone know? it cant be too close to bed time or i probably wont sleep and there are times when i have insomina
                          thanks
                          agentonline
                          When I tried Amantadine it was also prescribed twice a day. I was told to take the first one early in the morning, and the second dose around noon to avoid problems sleeping at night.

Amantadine did not work for me. The first dose kicked in quickly, but wore off early in the morning. The second dose had little to no effect on my tiredness.

I am now using Adderall and it keeps me from yawning most of the day. I did have to switch to a higher dose after 3 months because I started to build up a tolerance.

Good Luck,
                          Bill C.

Comment

just to update my pharmacist told me to take it at 4pm which ive been doing. I sometimes wake up in the middle of the night though.
                            I think I just need more coffee...I know in the long run its not good but its a short term fix for this tiredness

Comment

Working...
                            X