Extreme weakness after slight fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme weakness after slight fall

I've adjusted to my Spms and having a slow decline in my mobility. But after I toppled forward in my power chair (no apparent injuries at the time), I have gotten weaker and stayed that way. In the past, I would recover after a day or two. I did end up with a very painful, bruised leg a week later which was slow to heal, but is fine now. I never did get my strength back though and it's been almost 2 months. My neurologists wants me to have a MRI and maybe consider Ocrevus. Has anyone else had an injury that affected their progression? Thanks.

Hello nkh!

So sorry to learn about your fall and the weakness that you are experiencing.

When I need to take time off from my regular activity level, due to illness, injury, or any other reason, my strength always takes a hit!

Even a few consecutive days of inactivity can cause my muscles to become weak.

Your leg was slow to heal, so you probably couldn't move around too much for quite awhile?

I know that for me, I have to gradually work back to my strength level.

I wonder if that could be a possibility?

Another thought is that perhaps it's a new symptom (of weakness) that caused the fall?

Sounds like your neuro wants to see if there is any new inflammation (lesion).

In any case, nkh, I hope you get some strength back and good luck with the MRI, if you do get one done.

Please keep us updated with how you are doing.

We all learn from each other.

PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I am only mildly progressing at this point, so forgive me if I ask anything odd. Is there any possibility that PT could help regain some strength? I know it is a very thin line between exercise and overdoing it and causing issues for all us MSers. For me, I do feel weaker and more fatigued if I get outside my normal exercise regime.

Also, are you still eating the same way as before? I have a habit of back sliding and not eating as healthy when I am fatigued, and so the vicious cycle begins. Too tired to exercise and prepare healthy meals, both of which then exacerbate the fatigue.
      Finally, has any anxiety or depression crept in or become more pronounced? How has your sleep been? These can all contribute to feeling weaker.

Just a few questions to make sure anything outside of MS may be contributing to your additional weakness.

I do hope you find some relief soon.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for your input. I do have appointments set up with PT for an evaluation. Some of the things you mentioned like stress, diet, sleep have changed slightly, but not enough to make a big difference. I was just puzzled by having such a sharp decline after my very slow progression for years.

Comment

Really glad you are able to get a PT evaluation. It is amazing sometimes what they can discover. Please keep us updated on how you are doing, how are our tests go, and what you decide on Ocrevus.

​​​​​​Lots of luck.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X