Should I be scared?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be scared?

Hi everyone, I'm a 22 year old girl. 7 months ago I got a numb patch on my back and then a few in other places, they haven't gone away. My doctor said not to worry. Then 3 weeks ago I became dizzy, unbalanced and have a heavy and weak right arm and leg. I saw a neurologist who said he doesn't believe I have MS but I'm having an MRI tomorrow for "reassurance". I'm also severely deficient in vitamin D which I'm hoping is causing my symptoms but there seems to be no improvement since taking pills (it's only been 5 days) should I be worried? I'm scared I have PPMS

Originally posted by Cordelia22 View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm a 22 year old girl. 7 months ago I got a numb patch on my back and then a few in other places, they haven't gone away. My doctor said not to worry. Then 3 weeks ago I became dizzy, unbalanced and have a heavy and weak right arm and leg. I saw a neurologist who said he doesn't believe I have MS but I'm having an MRI tomorrow for "reassurance". I'm also severely deficient in vitamin D which I'm hoping is causing my symptoms but there seems to be no improvement since taking pills (it's only been 5 days) should I be worried? I'm scared I have PPMS
    Hi Cordelia22 and welcome to MS World

If you are severely deficient in Vitamin D, it would most likely take longer than 5 days to replenish your body with it.

Good luck with your MRI tomorrow. Let us know what you find out.

Try to practice calmness and relaxation in the meantime, even if it is only for short intervals. Your body and mind will thank you!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi Cordelia22 and welcome to MSWorld.

I'm also severely deficient in vitamin D which I'm hoping is causing my symptoms but there seems to be no improvement since taking pills (it's only been 5 days) should I be worried?
      It can take, sometimes, a year or more to bring your vitamin D levels well into the normal range. Blood work to check your vitamin D level should be done every 6 months, this will allow you and your Dr. to evaluate your D level and if you need to increase/decrease the amount you are taking. If your symptoms are due to the Vitamin D deficiency you won't feel any different until those levels are well within the normal range.

Have you had your B-12 level checked? If not that could be another consideration. Usually Neurologists will do blood work which is anywhere from 10 to 12 vials of blood, to check for numerous things.

I'm scared I have PPMS
      Even if you were to have MS there is absolutely no reason, at this time, to assume it will be Primary Progressive MS.

KoKo:
      Try to practice calmness and relaxation in the meantime, even if it is only for short intervals. Your body and mind will thank you!
      I agree with KoKo.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks very much for this lovely response, trying to keep calm

Comment

Thanks a lot for this, I never knew it could take so long.

The reason I assume PPMS is because my numbness hasn't gone away after 7 months and because of the weakness on one side of my body, I've heard that's a classic sign of PPMS.

Trying to stay positive until I get my MRI results on Friday

Comment

My B12 is 550 ng/ml which I think is fine! I was hoping it would be low. I just feel like I'm too young for this, I've had so much stress in my life. I have a heart condition and I lost a sibling suddenly when I was 13, so forgive me if I sound overly anxious

Comment

Originally posted by Cordelia22 View Post
              The reason I assume PPMS is because my numbness hasn't gone away after 7 months and because of the weakness on one side of my body, I've heard that's a classic sign of PPMS.
              Your information is incorrect. It would be best to just wait and see what the MRI findings are, if any, and go from there.

Take care
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                Your information is incorrect. It would be best to just wait and see what the MRI findings are, if any, and go from there.

Take care
                I know I'm just really frightened, I did a lot of walking yesterday and today my weak leg is hurting I hope its not MS

Comment

My MRI showed an area of abnormal signal on my right corona radiata, that explains the weakness in my right side. Is there any way this could be something other than MS?

Comment

You obviously have the MRI report. There is an impression section, what does that say?

Before jumping to conclusions you will need to see your Neurologist regarding MRI findings and what they may or may not mean in your particular case.
                    Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Cordelia, I'm glad you have your MRI results. Thanks for sharing them with us.

You are wondering whether an abnormal signal on my right corona radiata could be something other than MS. That's a good question. I would guess yes; it could likely be something other than MS. There are probably dozens and dozens of illness that it could possibly be. There are many illness that can cause lesions and abnormal things in the brain. MS is often difficult to diagnose because there are so many illnesses that "mimic" it. Many of us were in "limbo" for years before we were diagnosed. Lots of other illnesses needed to be ruled out first.

If your doctor thinks you likely don't have MS, then, you likely don't have MS. What did your doctor tell you after your MRI results were reviewed? Your doctor knows more than I do. Much more. Please reach out to him or her for information. We are not experts.
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

There is no impression section on my report but it says "no abnormality of diffusion weighted imaging" which I guess is good? My doctor told me that he thinks I have functional neurological disorder and i'm being sent for counselling. I'm literally getting worse by the day so he said this is not MS as my symptoms are worsening super fast. I can't even type without my arm hurting.

Comment

Hi Cordelia22,

My doctor told me that he thinks I have functional neurological disorder and i'm being sent for counselling
                          Do you understand what Functional Neurological Disorder(FND) is? FND is known by different names; Conversion Disorder, Psychosomatic, and Functional Neurological Disorder.

Psychological problems/disorders can manifest in very real physical symptoms, but this is not due to a disease.

This is the reason your Neurologist recommended Psychotherapy (counseling).

This is a very good website to learn about FND:
                          https://fndhope.org/fnd-guide/symptoms/

I wish you all the best and do hope you follow through with those in the Mental Health Profession that can help you.

The good new is you don't have Multiple Sclerosis
                          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Hi Snoopy (funnily enough, that's my nickname in my family)

Thank you for that! I'm going to persevere with the counselling and hope it makes a difference. I can't lie it is hard to accept that my numerous symptoms are just because of stress but I'm going to listen to my doctor. I'll have a look at the site now!

Comment

Working...
                            X