Waiting for MRI and a dx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting for MRI and a dx

I am so full of anxiety waiting to see if i will be dx with MS, but my gp and the er doctors tell me my symptoms are not presenting typically.

In hind sight, for about a year i have been having bouts of vision where everything looks like smokey. At home.. At work.. Running around making sure nothing is on fire. But that was about the end of it until June.

Mid-June hit snd i started getting numb (skin only, not asleep) on the bottom of my feet.. The numbness slowly moved upward until it was all the way to my neck and down my arms. It stayed this way for a couple weeks during which i was SO uncomfortable because it felt like a tight band around my abdomen.. Which relaxed and got worse off and on. But it was awful.

The ER ran full bloodwork and did a bunch of exam room neuro testing, all of which came back normal. By the time i saw my GP, the numbness had started to go away from where it started- feet first- but was still in my arms and hands. My GP ran more bloodwork and it was fine. Within a couple weeks i was back to normal. This first episode lasted about 2 months from when the numbness started to when it was gone.

Within a few weeks though i had this episode where me fact chest and arms went numb, i couldnt breath, i almost fainted, and my vision went crazy. Within a couple hrs at the ER, I felt better. The ekg came back normal and a subsequent echocardiogram was normal aswell. More bloodwork was fine too.

Since that episode the vision in my left eye is still messed up (6 weeks now) A few weeks later the optomitrist said my optic nerve looked ok. I just had a field of vision test, which i dont think went well for my affected eye, and i am waiting for my mri in a couple weeks.

I still get numbness but its not long lasting and seems to show up when i am anxious or exercising.. In a rush etc..

Has anyone had symptoms like this? My dr said that this is not how MS typically presents so he is a bit confused.

I can find all my symptoms in these forums, but i am really struggling while awaiting a diagnosis.

I forgot to mention during the episide where just my head and arms were numb that everytime i lowered my head, the numb feeling would intensify, and my coordination was off. It was the weirdest thing.

Comment

It is probably the all over numbness in all 4 extremities, the tightness, respiratory function, and vision your GP is referring to. Usually, in early MS, it presents on one side, or with optic neuritis.

I know how difficult it is to wait. But try not to get anxious. It will complicate and cause symptoms on its own, as you noticed. MS or not, learning anti-anxiety skills will help you cope. Hopefully, you do some things that help already (exercise, hobbies, talk to family and friends, games/puzzles, mindfulness, etc..).

Let us know how you make out.
      Kathy
      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

My FOV test came back with "areas of concern" and they want me to redo it.

I do have things that keep me relaxed but i am a worrier by nature.

Comment

Working...
        X