Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean MRI results with MS symptoms, what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean MRI results with MS symptoms, what do I do?

Hello, this is my first post here, so let's see how this goes. I've been having MS symptoms for some time now, enough to warrant having brain, neck, and cervical spine MRIs done, but my results came back clear and I'm not sure where to go from here. Here's the details of what's been going on.

Since I hit puberty I've dealt with some pretty common symptoms that were essentially dismissed at the time, but have since gotten worse. I've been diagnosed with severe clinical depression, anxiety, and panic attacks, and I've had frequent lower back pain and chronic migraines since I was pretty young. I've since developed spasms in both legs, mind fog, confusion, memory loss, extreme heat intolerance, irritable bowel syndrome, occasional incontinence and over active bladder, weakness, extreme fatigue, insomnia, headache, tingling in my hands and feet, chronic body pain, and one of my more perplexing symptoms, constant positive visual disturbance often described as visual snow. While I doubt this is relevant, I have also been diagnosed with aspergers and asthma.

My doctor has tested me for Lyme disease, B12 deficiency, Hoshimotos, other thyroid conditions, and had me get the three MRI scans listed prior. All of these came back clean, though no contrast was used in the MRI, and the machine was a 1.5T. My eyes were also examined by an optometrist who found nothing wrong other than drusen of the optic nerve. I then saw a neurologist who seems to agree with my MS suspicions, but she wants to run a lumbar spine MRI, which I fail to see the point of. I did have high ANA levels which could suggest Lupus, but my symptoms hardly line up.

I'm wanting to have a spinal tap done, as well as the other test (the name is escaping me at the moment), and a 3T MRI if the doctor would order it, however I doubt she will. I'm returning to college this month, and will be entering the graphic design field next year, and I'm really worried that without an official diagnosis and proper treatment I will have difficulties getting the help I need to succeed.

Here's my basic info that might be beneficial: I'm a 19 year old Caucasian female in the US, I have no family records of MS but my 15 year old brother has an unidentified autoimmune disorder and had an isolated case of optic neuritis a few years ago. I'm also currently on the following medications: Amitriptyline 10mg, Fluexetine 30mg, microgestin, zantac 150mg, and montelukast 10mg. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi FlameExpression.

It's important to know and understand there is no symptoms exclusive to Multiple Sclerosis. Many conditions can cause similar symptoms as those seen in MS.

I've been having MS symptoms for some time now, enough to warrant having brain, neck, and cervical spine MRIs done, but my results came back clear
    Just a fyi --- the cervical spine is the neck

she wants to run a lumbar spine MRI, which I fail to see the point of.
    A Lumbar spine MRI is used to rule in/out some other possible causes for symptoms. Back problems have the potential for causing some of the symptoms you have listed:
    I've had frequent lower back pain, I've since developed spasms in both legs, occasional incontinence and over active bladder
    Visual Snow isn't something MS would cause. Here is some information about visual snow:
    http://eyeonvision.org/visual-snow.html

I am sorry you deal with depression and anxiety and hope you are doing well on medication. Depression and anxiety can cause physical body wide symptoms and might be a possibility for your symptoms. It might be a good idea to discuss your symptoms with your Mental Health Provider and go over the medications you are using, just in case the medications are causing some of your symptoms (medication side effects).

The diagnostic criteria for MS relies heavily on MRI evidence. If you do have MS, at some point it will show it's self on MRIs. It is also very possible you don't have MS.

best wishes...
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi sorry you are having a lousy time trying to find out your problems but MS is a real headache to DX,

With your headaches try seeing someone about botox I have botox injections every 3 months for headaches (I have then continuously) the botox is injected all around your head down jaw line and down neck it takes about a week or 2 but then the headaches just aren't there and this lasts for 2 to 2.5 months,

I had to keep a diary of headaches and severity for 3 months for my neurologist to be approved through medicare (Australia) for treatment I couldn't live without it now but be warned the injections are painful, they sting, but its worth it good luck Craig

Comment

Working...
      X