MS Related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Related?

Over the last 8 months or so my health has been slowly deteriorating. My first visit to a new neurologist (recently moved) back in January was an epilepsy evaluation. I was having facial tingling and odd sensations in the back of my head at the time. Balance was a bit off too but nothing too alarming. Was also having urinary issue with leaking after going. At that time had no idea it could be related neurologically.

Neurologic exam was done and was normal for the most part. Had brisk reflexes but doctor was not concerned. At the time I had no idea what it really meant so I wasn’t concerned either. Sensations were put down to stress.

Labs were ordered. MRI was also ordered as I had Mesial Temporal Sclerosis on my previous MRI and he wanted to make sure nothing was progressing.

Next visit in March my labs and MRI results were discussed and he said they were all normal. No vitamin deficiencies or abnormalities of any sort. I was actually surprised.

I mentioned to him that I started having muscle twitches a week or so ago. Was simply put down to stress again. I do have social anxiety so I considered it a fair evaluation. Come back in 3 months.

Continued experiencing frequent muscle twitches and then myoclonic jerks developed. Mainly occurred while in bed but also had myoclonic jerks of my right arm while sitting at my desk at work.

From there my left arm developed an increased tone (it’s obviously larger then the right and I’m right handed) and a resistance to movement. I can still move it but it has a contraction movement when used. I believe this all gets classified under spasticity.

Had to move again in May so my late May appoint had to be canceled. In June I started to experience periods of double vision. Not my biggest concern as it doesn’t last long and just comes and goes. Still does to this day.

Had an unusual episode of entire body vibrations with the inability to move for about 30 seconds. I tried to move my arms and legs during it and could not. Fortunately I was lying down at the time it occurred. Was thinking seizure but I lose consciousness when I have seizures but did not here. Did not notice any ill effects from that episode.

Then from time to time this shade of gray would fall down into my vision. I know that falling curtain type symptom could be very serious. So now I’m getting really nervous despite how temporary it is but have no insurance. Still occurs to this day but not everyday like the double vision. If it were really serious I’d think my vision would be gone by now.

My facial tingling or numbness feeling I’d call it at times is here to stay at this point. Rarely goes away but is just on the left side and is also on the lower lip of mouth as well. Left side ptosis as well.

Balance really began to deteriorate further in late June. While I can walk it takes concentration now. Going downstairs is impossible without close railings and up is difficult. Developed a bit of a tremor when texting also.

Then I noticed on accident that my left butt cheek was wasting. Don’t know when this actually started. Was very noticeable on left side and only mild signs on right side. Started looking it all up online (bad idea) and of course if you search atrophy and twitching ALS comes up. Didn’t have any weakness though. Some hope there. lol

By July all four limbs would experience tingling at some point. Rarely at the same time but occurs throughout the day all day. Could be in my right hand then my left foot then my right hand again and then my right foot. There is also a degree of spasticity (contractions when moved) in my left leg now.

Also now get random cold sensations running down my arms and legs.

So with all these symptoms going on I recently read my MRI from my patient portal. I noticed something in the report my doctor had not mentioned.

“There are a few scattered indeterminate foci of hyperintense on T2 and FLAIR imaging in the left periventricular and subcortical white matter. This would suggest the presence of gliosis or focal demyelination.”

Taken in combination with all these symptoms I’ve been developing and considering I’m only 31 years old I started to think more about Multiple Sclerosis due to the demyelination and a few matching symptoms. As I read this is an area where MS tends to develop. I know it needs to be in two different areas and develop over different time periods to be diagnosed as MS though. Never had a spine MRI though.

In the interview process for employment so I could get insurance but stuck without at the moment. Does this sound like potential MS? Did anyone experience similar symptoms?

Hi Anomaly,
    I sure hope that you don't have MS. FYI, MS has about 400 mimics. You could be dealing with one of the other 400 mimics. I know that you have been moving around but if you do have MS, you can't run away from it ! You need to see a good neurologist that has a lot of clinical experience . Possibly a neurologist at a university hospital. Good luck !

Comment

For other diseases that mimic MS, google:

multiple sclerosis differential diagnosis
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
      X