Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone experience complications from contrast MRI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone experience complications from contrast MRI?

Sorry if My question is similar to my other post.

I was was wondering if anyone had any complications/ negative experiences with contrast MRIs using gadolinium - and if you believe they are generally safe?

In short my neurologist said he he doubts MS for my sx- but can't explain what has been going on for two yrs. I've had clear MRI of brain, C spine, lower lumbar- no thoracic- none with contrast. Normal Meg's and blood work. But Now my insurance is insisting If I have have new MRI and searching searching for Ms, it must be done with contrast. In addition it'll be 2 doses of contrast- 1 for brain, 1 for spine.

Neurologist says it's "up to you" if you want to have the MRIs with contrast. He doesn't think they're absolutely necessary and said there are "unknown risks" involved- but also said if it would give me peace of mind about MS I could do them.

Im torn about this decision because I've read contrasting agents pose an risks and FDA has issued warnings. Also gad remains in the body even with those with normal kidney function, but they just don't know what trace amounts do to the body.

Yet I'm still uneasy that's my previous MRIs are not enough (no contrast, no thoracic) to exclude MS and my sx are not improving/ no explanations/ sometimes feel as if they're getting worse (tingling, numbness and weakness in extremities and left leg).

I have had about 12 MRIs with contrast. No side effects that I know of. But then again, who really knows.

I will not get contrast now unless needed to show current activity, so if new lesions show and/or new symptoms.

In your case without contrast, you most likely would need two MRIs that show MS specific lesions, with the second one showing additional lesions from the first to prove dissemination in time. So you need to weigh the risk of contrast against the risk of delayed diagnosis and treatment and potential disability progression.

You should confirm with your neuro what is needed via MRI for a diagnosis. We all have different fears and risk tolerance, so in the end, after you get all the input, only you can make the decision.

Good luck.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for replying Kathy- your input and response is greatly appreciated. What you have said makes sense and it's good to hear that you haven't expressed any side effects from the contrast. Thank you again.

Comment

I've also had multiple MRIs with contrast (but pennstater has me beat lol) - no known side effects for me either. My last one was in 2015 and at my recent appt last month my neuro mentioned no MRI needed now since there is nothing to check at this point. If he recommends one in the future I will most likely follow his advice.

Best wishes to you as you decide.

Comment

I have also had multiple mri's with contrast and as far as I know, I haven't had any side effects.

I wish you well whatever you decide.
          God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
          X