Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sound like MS?

Hi all,

I've got no idea what's going on with me, but I thought this was a good place to start.

4.5 years ago, I went to my orthopedist because I had tingling and numbness in my right leg. He tested my reflexes and they were over reactive (by quite a bit) on that leg. He sent me for brain and spinal MRI's with contrast - he told me he was testing for MS. I freaked out, but when the scans came back, no lesions were found. What he did find interesting was that my spinal cord was swollen (he called it spinal cord edema). He didn't tell me to follow up with someone, and my leg is still tingly and numb to this day. I have a lot of chronic back issues, so I just assumed it was that. Can spinal cord edema be an early MS sign?

About 6 weeks ago, I woke up and my entire side of my face (cheek) was numb. I opened and closed my mouth a few times (felt like Novocaine almost) and it eventually woke up.

A couple of weeks later, I woke up one day and my arms felt heavy/weird. My hands felt clumsy and I was shaking. After 3-4 days, my hand felt normal again, but my shaking has persisted. It's not when the hand is at rest. It's when I'm using them. It especially happens when I reach for something up high and then try to lower it back down to me.

I have also always (as long as I can remember) had muscle twitches all over my body. Never painful. Just weird.

Also, for the last few weeks, I've noticed my eye momentarily gets blurry. If I blink, I can clear it away, but a few times last year I had double-vision. I never put all of these symptoms together, but if you do, does it sound like MS?

I have really bad anxiety, and my GP thought the shaking was from that, so I'm currently on a beta blocker (very low dose), but it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything.

Please help!

Thanks,
    Maria

Hi Maria and welcome!

I certainly am not qualified to determine if this is an early sign of MS or not, but I'm perplexed as to why there was no follow up after your orthopedist noticed swelling of the spinal cord.

He didn't tell me to follow up with someone, and my leg is still tingly and numb to this day.
    I would hope you see a neurologist and address these issues with them. A full neurological workup should be done and maybe another MRI. Anxiety could be causing these symptoms, so stay on your medication, but be proactive. Ask your GP for a referral for follow up with a neuro. It's better to know what's going on, be it MS or not.

I'm sorry you are having problems. Stay in touch with us and be well.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I think there was no follow up, because he assumed it was from an old injury? I've had herniated discs, scoliosis, bone spurs, spinal stenosis and more in my 37 years.

But then one day I had googled it and I found this:

There was no associated
      cord edema or swelling, which may sometimes be seen early in the disease process. Multiple sclerosis is a demyelinating disease of the brain and spinal cord. ... It is estimated that approximately 35% of MS patients exhibit spinal symptoms only.

It was enough to make me think. Especially with my latest symptoms. But I don't even know where to start? Back an an ortho? At a neuro? At my GP?

Comment

I would start with your GP and get a referral to see a neuro, if it was me. You will want to get the MRI film and report from your ortho before your appt with a neuro - provided that your GP refers you to one.

I hope you can get in to see one soon enough. Sometimes it takes awhile, so try to occupy your time with fun leisure and calming activities and try not to feel anxious. I know it's easier said, than done, but your mental health is important too!

Please try not to rely on "Dr. Google" and rely on good reputable sites such as NMSS, NIH, Medline, WebMD and such. Good luck to you!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi Maria,

Back problems can cause Neurological symptoms so it would be a good idea to follow up with your Orthopedist.

There was no associated cord edema or swelling, which may sometimes be seen early in the disease process. Multiple sclerosis is a demyelinating disease of the brain and spinal cord. ... It is estimated that approximately 35% of MS patients exhibit spinal symptoms only.
          I went looking for the above and found it here: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/546993

Spinal symptoms only (in MS) is referring to lesions on the spinal cord. Those symptoms are from where the lesion is, going down...not up. Spinal cord lesions, in MS, are well known for causing mobility issues as well as other symptoms.

You don't have spinal cord lesions, which is good

For your vision problems it would be best to see a Ophthalmologist for an evaluation.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Working...
          X