Every summer i feel like it gets worse.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every summer i feel like it gets worse.

Some of you may recognize me. I've been here off and on for a few years now.
    I seem to come back every summer.

It seems that my symptoms often return in the warmer months. Bothering me a little more each year they return. My chest feels tight, the right side of my face feels funny, I feel weak, and I've been noticing a tremor in the evening when i'm tired.

I'm not really sure what to do about it. I know the obvious would be to keep a symptom diary but I'm terrible at that. I really need to get better about it. Then i will actually have evidence to show my doctor. I don't know if it's ms or not. I do recognize that my symptoms are exacerbated by heat.

~QStonr

Originally posted by QStonr View Post

It seems that my symptoms often return in the warmer months. Bothering me a little more each year they return. My chest feels tight, the right side of my face feels funny, I feel weak, and I've been noticing a tremor in the evening when i'm tired.

I'm not really sure what to do about it. I know the obvious would be to keep a symptom diary but I'm terrible at that. I really need to get better about it. Then i will actually have evidence to show my doctor. I don't know if it's ms or not. I do recognize that my symptoms are exacerbated by heat.

~QStonr
    Hi QStoner

Wondering if you have been to a neuro for clinical exam?

I agree about keeping a log of the symptoms that you are having, and when they occur.

Let your doctor know your concerns, and hopefully you will get a referral to a neurologist for further testing.

Good luck and keep cool.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
      Hi QStoner
      Wondering if you have been to a neuro for clinical exam?
      I've been to a neuro and had an emg done twice. But that was 3 to 4 years ago. I probably should get checked out again.

Thanks

Comment

I've been to a neuro and had an emg done twice. But that was 3 to 4 years ago. I probably should get checked out again.

Thanks
        QStoner

Yes, it's been awhile and another exam would be helpful.

The neurological clinical exam could reveal any subtle abnormalities in movement, coordination, balance, vision, and the other senses.

Take Care
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

~QStonr
          Heat is definitely a trigger for me. I try to avoid it. I now live in Louisiana, but lived in North Texas for years. In NTX, I was miserable. Here I can at least get out a bit in the morning and evenings if it rains in the afternoon. I find staying cool and wearing light clothing helps. I avoid the middle of the day as much as possible. My eyes are very sensitive, so big sunglasses help as well.

I hope for us all summer is over very soon. Be well.

L

Comment

Thanks
            Yes; it would be helpful for you to have a diagnosis. What you have could be MS, or could be something else. There are many illnesses that mimic MS symptoms.

If it's MS, it's important to get diagnosed so that you can begin treatment. MS disease-modifying-drugs (DMD's) can help to reduce the frequency and severity of flares, and - even more importantly - delay progression of the disease.

And, you're right -- a symptoms diary would be a good idea.

I looked back on some of your old posts and compiled this list of symptoms that you've discussed. Maybe this list can be a beginning for you. If you can think of any more, you can add them to this list. Ask friends or family members if they've noticed symptoms. They might help you remember some that you aren't thinking about or didn't even notice yourself. My husband is helpful for me with that.

Either write these down somewhere and put them in your medicine cabinet or file cabinet or somewhere where you will find them. Or, copy/paste them into an email and email them to yourself so you can find them or something. And, print it out and keep it in your medicine cabinet or file cabinet.
            I know what it's like to have some tasks that are just hard to do. For me, this isn't one of them, but I have different ones. Maybe this can help you.

- Pain, weakness, odd sensations on left side.
            - Tingling in hands, feet and left side of face
            - Dizzy
            - Disoriented
            - Had to give up a caregiver job in 2013 because of symptoms
            - Cold chills; feels like twitches
            - Creepy crawly electrical feelings in leg and body
            - Making a fist with right hand when walking, to help keep me stable. (Tell that to doctor. And, mention, if it seems accurate, that poor balance is an issue.)
            - Sometimes I wish I had a cane
            - Heat intolerance, especially in the summer. Causes a tingling burning pain in wrists, elbows, shoulders. Hard to type.
            It's also important that you mention your mom's diagnosis of lupus, since, as you noted, auto-immune diseases tend to run in families.
            ~ Faith
            MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
            - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
            - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
            - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
            X