Feedback?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback?

Hi everyone. I am new here and am looking for some feedback. I am a 42 yr old woman who lives in Canada.
    So I went to my family doctor with my symptoms and she ordered blood work that came back normal. She sent me for an MRI and she "carefully" explained to me that I have some brain changes in the temperal lobes but its non specified. She said this means that it could be MS or it might not be. I am being sent to a Neurologist but am on a waiting list. It could be months before I see him. My doctor also said my symptoms do not sound like MS. Can someone give me their opinion as to if I should be worried? I realise you people cannot diagnose me but am curious if my symptoms sound like others and whether it sounds like another condition. I actually had some of these symptoms about 4 years ago and was tested for lupus at that time. No other tests were done. Now its back.
    I am in a lot of pain and find the symptoms so frustrating, as i am sure most of you do. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Symptoms

Tingling (pins and needles), numbness and sometimes burning in hands and feet that spread up the limbs at times. The Tingling is Constant.
    Swelling in hands, mostly the right. Feeling like the whole body is swollen.
    Electric shock feelings in toes…like someone shoved my toe in a light socket.
    Forgetfulness and memory loss. Have a lot of brain farts. Could be age related.
    Back pain especially the lower back.
    Whole body aches. Constant dull ache. Very stiff after waking up or sitting and can hardly walk until I get moving.
    Neck pain…makes a crunching sound and feels sparky when I move it sometimes.
    Have trouble gripping things….loss of strength. Drop things constantly and have trouble zipping coats and doing up buttons and opening things that require you to pull back plastic.
    Blurry vision, have trouble focusing. Twitching in eyes.
    Bump into corners of walls and furniture…like I have a loss of perception
    Feel a warm wet sensation on the back of left thigh and in both feet. Comes and goes.
    Have trouble lifting legs to put on pants and socks…this could be weight related. Legs feel heavy.
    Frequent urge to urinate. Being treated for overactive bladder.
    Have had a few mild episodes of vertigo. Thought the room was tilting, almost lost my balance.
    Severe fatigue. Used to run marathons and be a gym rat but became so fatigued very quickly that I could no longer exercise. Always tired even after sleeping soundly. Have to take breaks when cleaning the house. Can’t do things I used to do like mow the lawn due to exhaustion.
    Weight gain due to lack of exercise.

So ya, any feedback would be great. thank you.

Neurologist phoned today and gave me an appointment date of May 20th. Although this seems like a long time from now, i realise that many people wait a lot longer. I am very thankful I have an appointment as my symptoms are getting worse.

Comment

Hello Yorkiemom and welcome to MSWorld.

Back pain especially the lower back
      Neck pain
      You should probably have an x-ray and/or MRI of your spine. Mechanical back problems (bulging/herniated discs, or other spine problems) can cause Neurological symptoms but is not related to Multiple Sclerosis. A MRI of the cervical spine (neck) is also used in the diagnostic process for MS.

Blurry vision, have trouble focusing. Twitching in eyes
      If you haven't had a recent eye exam then I would suggest getting one. Vision problems should be evaluated by an Optometrist or Ophthalmologist.

Bump into corners of walls and furniture…like I have a loss of perception
      This could be part of a vision problem.

There are numerous conditions, medications and mental health issues that can cause symptoms that are similar to MS. There is no symptom(s) unique or exclusive to MS.

If you use any medications I would suggest checking side effects to see if they match any of your symptoms and if so please speak to your prescribing Dr.

Medline Plus is a good resource to start: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...formation.html

Other conditions that need to be ruled out:
      http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sym...ns-to-Rule-Out

Always tired even after sleeping soundly
      It's always possible this is related to a sleep disorder. A sleep study could rule in/out a sleep disorder.

Exercise is quite important, even with a disease like MS it's important. Exercise in MS is beneficial for some of symptoms including fatigue.

Best wishes.
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thanks for the information Snoopy. I really appreciate it. I am going to make an eye appointment today. I am really healthy besides these symptoms i am having, and just had a bunch of blood work done that came back normal. I had a spinal MRI done at the same time as the one on my head. The spine one came back normal and the head one said I had brain changes.
        Thanks again for responding. Glad there is somewhere to ask questions and find out info like this. Hope you are well.

Comment

Update

There ended up being a cancellation at my neurologists and they were able to get me in early. I went and saw him yesterday. According to my MRI I have 5 lesions on the brain. Four on the right side and one on the left. He said the lesions are not typical for shape and size of MS lesions but that doesn't mean that its not MS. I have to go for more blood testing: Lyme disease, lupus etc. and then have another MRI done in July. If there are new lesions showing on the new MRI chances are I have MS. If no lesions are found I have to have a spinal tap. Not sure how I feel about this. Just thought i should update this.

Comment

Hi Yorkiemom,

Thanks for the update

Your Neurologist didn't to a spine MRI?

MS is a disease of the Central Nervous System (CNS) which includes the brain, optic nerves and spinal cord. Lesions can and do show up anywhere within the CNS. If MS is a possibility a spine MRI really should be done. If you were to have spinal cord lesions that might point more to MS along with your brain lesions.

Best wishes on your testing
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

WELCOME TO MS WORLD YORKIEMOM!!! I am glad that you found our site, and am also glad that you are getting good information. Sometimes the process of diagnosing MS takes a little while as MS has so many different diseases that mimic it. We also feature a chat room that is open 24/7, some of the chat room information can be found here, http://www.msworld.org/community/cha...hat-room-info/
              I wish you the best of luck, and keep us updated please.
              hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
              volunteer
              MS World
              hunterd@msworld.org
              PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Hi Yorkiemom,
                The first thing you should be aware of is when your doctor tells you that your loevels are normal, you should see the lab reports and read the numbers, yourself. If your levels are LOW normal, maybe you can work to improve them.
                This was my experience with my vitamin D levels. My doctor told me that my levels were OK. They, in fact, were LOW and it took me 2 years of supplementation to get the levels up to much better numbers!
                You should have several spinal MRI's done. Your neurologist should know which MRI's to order and if the MRI's should include contrast (gadolinium) . Good luck

Comment

Working...
                X